Respiratory Disorders Community

Is everyone still having these sympthoms

I see these comments are from 2006. I am currently having many of these same problems. Tickle in throat, sharp pain, cough, tears, nose dripping. This has been happening for the past 5 months. I've been to a ENT. He said it was my tonsils. I had them out. At first while I was on meds during my recovery from the surgery the symptoms stopped. But after I stopped taking the pain killers anti-biotic and the steroids the tickle came back. I've been taking Previcid for acid reflux but this has not stopped the attacks. Does anyone have any current information on this?

This discussion is related to Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke.
I am in my 50's, have suffered with this terrible sudden itch in throat attack--followed by terrible coughing that only stops the itch when some kind of fluid comes up from my lungs--not really phlegm, more watery--since 1992. That was when I became an active speaking minister. It feels like a flea suddenly bites one (or the other) side of my throat or maybe vocal cords or sometimes I think it feels like a big hive in my throat because it feels like a lump comes up. A throat specialist went down with a scope and said everything was normal. My doctor diagnosed allergy or sinus problems, and possible asthma, and put me on antihistamines and an asthma inhaler. None of it worked. Then she put me on Claritin D and it seemed to work for at least a year. Then it came back again and she put me on a different brand of Claritin D-like medication. Nothin'. Then I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux. They put me on Prevacid which worked again, for about a year. The another doctor had to put me on some meds that rendered the Prevacid useless, and it never worked again. I still get the itch, it's not as bad as it often was, but it is still chronic, with only occasional time without it. And sometimes it is so bad and I cough so hard I get nauseous and even vomit at times. At those times my throat ends up sore. I use cough meds and ibuprofen overnight, sometimes a codein med., and my throat heals, but the itch always comes back. For what it's worth, that's my story. Perhaps it has something to do with speaking, and the use of my vocal cords. That's the only thing that makes sense, and the itch sure feels like it's right there. Thanks for listening.
i as well have these problems..over 4 year now.I have been diagnosed with asthma,but i am certain it is not just asthma.I am really afraid of them at times,i will get to where i am struggling for even a whisp of air for 30 or 40 seconds if it gets full blown.this has happened several times.I am so very careful on getting strangled for that is the worst.It almost always starts with the tickle in my throat,i only have 10-15 seconds to get it under control.fast acting inhaler does help sometimes,but does not completely stop it..it just helps me get it under control.I would love to know what this is,but as with everyone else i don't...i just know it will scare the hell out of you and anyone around you....
good luck to all of you,i do feel your fear and pain....
i have the same exact symptoms...well since march 07 so almost a year.My tonsils are inflamed on a daily basis,also have a bunch of tan light brown tissus on my pharyngeal walls...I have sharp pain in my throat radiating in my right ear from time to time,also most of the time i have the sensation that something is stuck in my throat near my right tonsil.My tonsils have deep crypts and i always get tonsils stones,seen many doctors and an ENT,had many x-rays taken.Some swollen lymph nodes,yeah its a mess...But still the doctors i have seen they all think everything is fine.They dont know whats going on.I have an appointment to see another ENT in may so im hopping he will recommend to take my tonsils out.Hopefully removing my tonsils will take care of the problems or at least helph.Basically the doctors i have seen so far told me that my tonsils were in bad shape but not bad enought to consider a tonsillectomy.

Some days are better than others,i can feel alright for a few days but it always comeback.

Hi all - I have a similar problem. I have Cystic Fibrosis - so coughing is normal for me. But this back of the throat tickle is incredibly bothersome!  Now I've had post nasal drip, and this isn't it. Sleeping upright or upside down doesn't seem to make a difference. My Dr prescribed Tussinex which I promptly went back and got her to give me Cotridin instead. I find Tussinex to be completely useless while the Cotridin (or its known as Co-Actifed) is substantially superior! While on this med driving is a No-No, at least I get to sleep at night (YAY!). I've tried the Lemon/honey trick, salt water etc. I was prescribed Ventolin (for emergency cant breathe situations!) and Advair. I found the advair diskus was no good, but the inhaled advair seemed to help a bit.  If its related to lung infections, I've got tons of those to pick from so cant really narrow it down. Right now it feels like I've got a web of spider silk or cat hair in the back of my throat and its just not clearing. Did anyone else find a solution that works?
I am a 33 year female and since Sept, I have been having the itchy throat sensation which inevitably leads to coughing for at least a minute, running eyes, running nose, incontenance and throwing up.  I once threw up on myself at the Humane Society and today I had to stop my car because I thought I was going to throw up!  It's a very embarassing disorder, whatever it is.  

When it starts to come on, I start to feel panicked and want to run.  People at work immediately start asking if I am ok and all I can do is wave my hands at them!  My husband blames it on my smoking, which I'm sure doesn't help, but I have smoked since I was 17 and quit when I was 29, then started again a few months before these episodes started.  At first I did blame it on the smoking but I have had smokers cough and it never ever came near these coughing attacks!

It is getting so embarassing and I worry so much I will just throw up on myself in public.  Been to the doctor once and since I have tried a steroid, Mucinex, Claritin and now I am trying Prilosec.  I probably should go back to the doctor but after reading all the posts, I am beginning to think it will be a waste of time.  

And...this feels like the worst for me.  The last few days I have been eating very lightly and feeling nauseous for no reason.  I know it is me just being afraid I will start coughing due to the tickle and then worrying about throwing up.  I have even worried about whether it is cancer or something absolutely horrible....  This is really doing a job on me physically and mentally.
I have been experiencing very similar symptoms for two months. I had what was probably a viral infection, which included a very sore throat for which i took a course of amoxyl.  The sudden tickle in the throat resulting in spasms of coughing has plagued me for two months and comes on suddenly with no warning,  more at night but often during the day.  I had further antibiotics and visits to my doctor, who has now referred me to an ENT specialist.

I have a question - I also have trouble swallowing,  maybe not exactly problems swallowing, but the feeling that there is something in my throat whenever I swallow.  Does anyone else have this sensation?  It's like there is 'something' there in my throat which shouldn't be there.
Thank you for helping me to see I'm not alone in having this mystery disorder. I thought I was just crazy. Since no doctors seem to know what this disorder is we should give it a name. Anyone have any ideas??? Maybe "Chronic Intermitent Throat Tickle Syndrome" or something. I couldn't fall back asleep for awhile after an attack last night. For some reason I couldn't get this song out of my head:

"Chronic Tickle in my Throat
You just want to make me Choke
Make Tears well up in my Eyes
Doctors cannot tell me Why
Chronic Tickle in my Throat
I JUST CAN’T SING THIS SONG I WROTE"

My sister are telling me to see an Herbalist to see if he can help me. I'm considering it at this point. If I do I'll let you know what he says.

Thank you again
I had those symptoms in 1993 and was told by pulmonary specialist that I had developed bronchial asthma because I had pneumonia and didn't get treated so it turned into bronchial asthma. I had a cold for 3 months. (thought it was a cold) Also, I did work around a lot of chemicals and several different kinds of fumes. It took a year to get my cough and wheezing under some kind of control with prednisone, and different asthma medicines and inhalers.  Now and again I do get those spells but prednisone seems to calm it down. NOW  I was told that I have an elevated lung nodule which will be watched by ct scans every 3 months until they say it is begin??? God bless hope you get your ca ugh under control.
I'm so glad I'm not alone. I started coughing in October 2007. It started as a bronchitis type cold, then just stayed as the typical tickle cough described by most of you. Its starts whenever it wants, for NO reason... A horrid tickle/sting in my throat which no matter how hard you try to ignore or fight it, you start coughing...and coughing... and coughing. Due to the cough my bladder is rebelling, my eyes water constantly, and occasionally vomit. I went back to the Dr (new doc as my old one suddenly stopped practicing in December), and she started by saying it was my BP meds... I take Lisinopril/HCTZ. I've been taking this for 3 years without a single cough, in fact my old doc and I went through several meds to find this one that DIDN'T make me cough. She insisted so I gave her 50 dollar co-pay med a try (opposed to my 4.oo lisinopril med). Guess what?? Didnt work... I return a month later.... She puts me on Allegra.. Didn't work. I return a month later... She gives me an xray which comes up clear.. I return a month later to have a sinus infection this time so she says to come back in another month after the sinus infection clears.... (I'm not liking her at this point). Now, I call and tell her that I NEED FIXED NOW. So she tries Nasonex and Albuteral Inhaler. Doesnt work. ..
Two weeks ago I went on a med strike. Stopped ALL my meds just to see IF it might be them.. Nope.. Still coughing.
I go back to see her Friday and we'll see what the next try is.. After reading from all of you, I doubt anything will "fix" me.

Its making me depressed as I can't work, can't sleep, keep my husband up all night, my 10 month old is now "fake coughing" to mock me (his first mock is a fake cough...gee wonderful...). I have to make sure I have Pepsi or Coke at all times to "cure" the cough. It doesnt totally take it out, but it tones down how hard I cough.

I read somewhere that Vitamin B12, and A can help? Going to look into this as I used to take B12 in injection form years ago.. I would'nt mind doing this again if it helps!

There seriously has to be some sort of problem if we all are dealing with this and nothing is helping!
I searched on the net this evening as this problem is ruining my life.

It started two years ago as a one off event and I was so totally embarrased. In the end I threw up from the coughing.

More recently I am having them during very important meetings, and as you all know the there is very little to no warnings. I am so distressed I was thinking about changing my career as having to leave a meeting every 15 minutes is not good.

I had one last week and I ran outside so no one would see my purple face, bulging runny eyes and slobber being coughed all over the place. The worse and new thing is the pain I had as I choked in the car park. It was like stabbing knives across my chest and arms. So terribly painful I actually thought my time had come.

I too am asthmatic and suffer from Thyroidism. I have been to see my doctor who once again took my blood to test, but came up with no real answers.

If anyone can help I would be so greatly appreciated.
Just like all of you, I am tired of this problem. It began in December '07 till this day. Talked to my doctor and he changed my second blood pressure medication. Since nothing has changed, he just told me to stop taking it except for metropolol. The coughing continues. I caught the flu in April 4 for a week and the tickle stopped. I was coughing from congestion. As soon as I was back in good shape, the tickle started again.

I stopped my blood pressure pill  thinking it was the side effects. The tickle and coughing still continues. The advair does not help but I need it anyway for my asthma, and so with rhynocort for my nasal allergies. Zyrtec is what I take for my indoor and outdoor allergies. I am done with Claritin and Alegra which does not help with my allergies. I take vitamins C, Calcium with D, iron, magnesium, and also take Fish oil and garlic pills.

Tonight I decided to skip all the pills including vitamins and hopefully the coughing will be less frequent.

I boiled slices of ginger for about half an hour, and poured it in a covered mug. Every time the coughing begins, I take a sip of this warm drink. It feels soothing and shortens the episode. I still cough out real tiny phlegm, but the episode is less intense.
Wow, I'm not alone.  I am British, but have lived in Singapore for the last year and have had this problem since I was 18.  I am now 33!  

It does seem to begin as a tickle/intense dryness on one or other of my tonsils.  Then my eyes water and nose runs and i find it hard to breathe properly.  I then seem to get loads of saliva which I swallow swallow swallow like mad.  I desperately need to cough, and do so.  I cannot talk.  When I cough I feel like I may vomit.  

These episodes happen once in a while, I may go for a few weeks with nothing then a week or so of frequent ones.  When I have a cold/sore throat it happens A LOT and loads at night.  It wakes me constantly.  I don't know what to do,  Drink doesn't help when an attack occurs, cough sweets do a little to slightly numb the throat enough to get me back to sleep (except last night I woke to find I was still sucking one - not a great idea!)

It definitely starts on the tonsil though, I'm sure that's where the problem is.  When I was younger I developed little holes in my tonsils, I wonder if that's causing it.  

Started to drink a drop of real lemon juice when it happens and that causes a lot of saliva to develop and perhaps stop the attack but not completely,

Weird
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?