Respiratory Disorders Forum

Laryngospasm and flu

I recently had a bout with Influenza A (despite getting the flu vaccine) which was pretty severe; about the second or third day, I began having episodes of "choking" in which my throat suddenly closed up, keeping me from breathing in (at all, at first; then I could with stridor; it resolved after a minute or two). By researching on the internet, I determined this was laryngospasm or an involuntary sudden muscular contraction of the vocal chords. I read in one article that it could be related to the flu in that this virus can actually strip the outer tissues of the airway, making it sensitive? I haven't had this since then.
It is unlikely that you have a significant long lasting problem with your airway if the symptoms have resolved.  It could have been exactly as you have described, laryngospasm as a result of the inflammation from the virus.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.