Respiratory Disorders Forum

Persistent cough, nausea

In the past three years I have had several bad spells of bronchitis. Now, it seems like it never quite goes away. Sometimes usually when walking or upset, I feel a sort of pressure in my abdomen just under my rib cage which turns into nausea and I cough until I throw up, Sometimes it's clear and often it's a sort of orangy/red colour. These attacks leave me rather tired and shaky, sometimes I have a dull ache in my chest and throat presumably just from the violence of these attacks.

I have gone to the doctor many times and have been put on antibiotics and inhalers to help with my bronchitis but it doesn't seem to help this symptom, nor does it seem like the doctors I have been to seem to want to delve deeper into it. Is this just an unfortunate effect of having what has become chronic bronchitis or should I be worried enough to push for them to look into this? Any information would be helpful as it is becoming a real problem.

Thank you.
What you describe is consistent with the diagnosis of recurrent acute bronchitis and/or asthma.  In either case your intestinal symptoms of productive cough associated with a “dull ache in the chest” raises the question of acid reflux (Gastro-esophageal reflux or GERD) that could be causally related to asthma or bronchitis.  Also, if you are a smoker, that too would almost certainly aggravate any underlying lung disease.

I suggest that you seek consultation with another doctor, one likely to be willing “to delve into it.”.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.