Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
Avatar universal

Popcorn ceilings and asbestos risk.

Unfortunately I was not aware that asbestos was contained in most popcorn ceilings in the past. About ten years ago, a friend of mine asked me to scrape off the popcorn ceiling in a large living room. In addition he had me use a mini jackhammer to remove flooring that was very firmly attached by some type of very strong adhesive. The home was likely built in the mid 1970s to very early 1980s and at this point I have no idea if the popcorn ceiling or the flooring contained asbestos. Clearly I would have breathed plenty of popcorn ceiling dust as well as concrete dust and the dust of whatever the flooring adhesive was made of as well as dust from the flooring itself (it consisted of what appeared to be small wooden squares (about the size of a hand). So I would like to get a doctor to answer a hypothetical question. If I were to assume that these items and especially the popcorn ceiling contained asbestos. What is my likely diagnosis from this one time but very significant exposure. I know about mesothelioma and that certain cancer is caused by asbestos so I am worried. I have read that almost all popcorn ceilings have asbestos in them. I used a water bottle to soften the ceiling before scraping it most of the time but I know that sometimes I did some dry scraping. Plus all the dust floating around from me grinding the floor up. If I assume the worst and I breathed a bunch of asbestos, can my body heal itself or am I likely to get ill in the future decades because of this exposure? I am very upset that I was unaware of the presence of asbestos but I was younger then and a lot less aware of the dangers in the environment around me This happened about ten years ago. Please discuss the magnitude of the risk I face now in regards to my health. Also, what tests should I get done to detect the presence of asbestos damage in my lungs? Should I get a CT scan or see a respiratory physician?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Also, I wore no protection on my body or my eyes so I am sure all of this dust and debris entered my eyes mouth too. Would I have gotten significant damage or any measurable damage to my lungs, eyes, skin, etc from this one time but significant potential exposure to asbestos?
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
One final detail. This was over the course of about three days with no protection. I would estimate 20 hours of total exposure.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Found out the house was probably built in 1974 so there is a high probability the ceiling contained asbestos.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi, do you have any symptoms now? One exposure to asbestos fibers may not cause much harm. Prolonged exposure to these fibers can cause lung tissue scarring and shortness of breath. Asbestosis symptoms can range from mild to severe, and usually don't appear until many years after continued exposure. If you have symptoms of breathlessness or cough then chest X rays, CT scan and lung function tests may help to determine the extent of damage. If you do not have symptoms you don't have to worry. Regards.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
To my knowledge, I never had any negative effect from the home remodel exposure. Further research indicates it could have been a home built in 1979 and 1980. However, my research indicates that even houses built that recently had asbestos in the flooring, flooring adhesives, popcorn ceilings, etc. I know if asbestos is not disturbed it is not supposed to be a problem but unfortunately we disturbed it big time. Scraping, sanding, etc. what a nightmare. I can't believe I was so stupid but I simply had no idea I might be dealing with asbestos. I thought it was mainly in very old buildings and mainly in insulation, but only later did I find out that it is all over the place. Add this exposure to the fact that like a lot of people in their 40s, I went to school in very old buildings known to have asbestos for over 12 years and I stayed with my grandparents one summer in 1980 while they were having their old 1920s house renovated, and suddenly I am freaking out that I am destined to get mesothelioma, cancer, asbestosis or some other asbestos related disease. I am just really frightened and feel contaminated.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
How is your health Tigerfan?  Have you developed any respiratory diseases?   I hope you are OK!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Respiratory Disorders Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.