Respiratory Disorders Community

Suffocating, please help

I'm a very active 55 year old who, a little over 2 years ago, experienced a heart attack. I was stented and seemed to be on the mend quite successfully; however, about two months ago I was rushed into the ER when I began to experience the inability to breathe. At first they thought I was having another heart attack but later said this was not the case. After running a myriad of tests, I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. WHAT! I simply could not believe and am still having trouble accepting this diagnosis. I improved quite a bit and even began working out again but, as of a couple weeks ago, while traveling to the Pacific Northwest, it hit again with a vengeance! Now, I am unable to lie down or sleep lying down because I feel as though I am suffocating to death. Now you must understand. I realize everyone has a natural fear of suffocating; however, my fear far surpasses normal and borders the realm of psychotic! While experiencing this feeling in the hospital, it took four orderlies to hold me down while the nurse injected me with Ativan until I passed out.  I've explained to people that this is the reason I tell people I have such a fear of the water. It's not true hydrophobia. I just have such an extreme fear of drowning and/or suffocating that I can't stand to get near water.

I apologize as I have taken off on a real tangent, but what I'm asking is, how can my BP, pulse rate, ekg, stress test, etc, etc. look so good but still have the DX of CHF? There HAS GOT TO BE something that can be done. I REALLY hate saying this but I CANNOT continue to live like this. I'm SO DAMNED exhausted. PLEASE HELP!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.