Respiratory Disorders Forum

Understanding FVC

My mom received these results from her recent dr. appt.:
FVC was 2.5 liters; should have been 3.5 liters
FEV was 1.5 liters; should have been 2.5 liters
She was told that she had a mixed pattern of obstruction/restriction. She was alone for the doctor appt. and didn't come away with much more information other than she should get a living will prepared. How serious do these results look? I realize that this isn't much to go on, but it's all she came away with. She also is a very brittle diabetic and a breast cancer survivor, and has been through alot. I think these results upset her and she perhaps didn't get a clear understanding of the ramifications of the results. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
These FVC and FEV1 results could indicate a mixed obstructive and restrictive lung problem.  If your mom has smoked, these results could also indicate pure obstructive lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  She needs to have a chest x-ray and additional pulmonary function testing to sort this out.

In either event, your mom does have decreased lung function.  However she has enough lung function to live for many years, if not decades.  Having a living will is always a good idea.  In this instance it
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.