Respiratory Disorders Community

Vocal Cord Healing

I had Pertussis 3 years ago, and I have not been able to sing like before.  I was pretty good and I did a lot of soloing at various events.  I would like to fix the problem, but our local ENT Dr. doesn't seem to feel a need to fix it.  What can I do?
Follow this technique to exercise the vocal chords and stimulate the thyroid. Let me know your progress after 3 weeks or when you notice the difference, then I can suggest some more.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible(about 3 to 9 seconds).Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
May 15 ,2012
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It may be that you might have inflammation of your superior laryngeal nerve which is the nerve that controls the muscle around your larynx (voice box) that controls pitch.  The infection could have caused this. The best way for evaluation is to see a speech pathologist who specializes in voice and who can perform a videostroboscopy which is a special camera to look at the movement of the vocal cords.  The speech pathologist can recommend vocal strengthening exercises and works with an ENT who can prescribe the medication if needed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.