Respiratory Disorders Community

coughing

After an extreme coughing spell (been treated for an upper respiratory infection last week) I felt a sharp pain in lower left abdomen. I still have the recurring pain after 2 days. Should I be concerned?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The constant coughing could cause muscle strain and chest pain. Sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain with coughing. This should resolve as the infection and inflammation subside. However, if the pain persists or if you develop additional symptoms like fever or cough consult your doctor for an assessment. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?