Aa
A
A
A
Close
Respiratory Disorders Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

mucus?

I belive that last week i had strep throat, my throat was so swollen that i could no longer swollow food and it felt like someone had taken a lighter to my throat it hurt so bad. I did have a little bit of mucus inmy throat then but a week later of thick mucus in my throat its geting very bothersom. I am currently on pennicillin and also pregnisone for the inflimation. I am finished with that one though. Do you have any idea what the cause of this is? and do you think is will go away?
1 Responses
242588 tn?1224271700
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yes, I do believe this thick mucus will resolve spontaneously, provided you take the penicillin as directed, daily for the full 10 days.  Even after the strep have been eradicated by the penicillin, the inflammation the strep caused may continue for a while.  This is nothing to worry about, provided that the soreness does not return.  The mucus is mostly a nuisance, not an indication of the return of infection.
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.