Respiratory Disorders Forum

shortness of breath/chest tightness with no other symptoms

I am a perfectly healthy, athletic 30-yr. old female who for the past week has been experiencing difficulty breathing with a tightness in my left upper chest.  I struggle to get a deep breath and sometimes have to yawn to do so.  If I thought about it enough and panicked, I could hypervetalate trying to catch my breath.  The only relief I get is when laying down to sleep or rest.  This started out of nowhere.  At first I suspected allergies--don't have a problem, but had spent the weekend outdoors and had kicked around some hay (literally) which I felt may have irritated my throat/chest.  Two days ago had a chest x-ray and EKG.  Doc sent me away like I was crazy telling me that it was probably stress or anxiety (even though I told him I didn't feel stressed or anxious) and to take a xanax and I would be better in a couple of days.  Any thoughts?  If it's nothing, great!  But I have tried to 'think my way out of it' and have ahd plenty of rest humoring the idea that it is stress.  Could a chest x-ray miss something like pleurisy or something else that might not show-up on an x-ray?
With the hay exposure, this could be asthma or hypersensitivity pneumonitis, the latter even with a negative chest x-ray.  If these symptoms do not resolve spontaneously, quickly, you should see a pulmonary specialist and have another chest x-ray and pulmonary function tests (PFTs).
It is possible thatyou stirred up a lot of mold and fungus out in the hay. Most people are affected by mold and fungus, and hay is full of it. It probablty would not show up on a chest x-ray unless you had pemanent damage in your airways. Try some Zyrtec, Allegra, or whatever allergy medicine your Dr. will give you for about a week. If you are stil having problems, you may consider Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT), and an Echocardiogram. PFT's will evaluate for asthma, and many other lung problems. An Echo could detect the flow efficiency of your heart, and evaluate for structural defects. An EKG only shows the electrical activity of your heart. If your Dr. won't take you seriously after another try, get a new one!
I have been having a shortness of breath for over one year now.  I constantly have to take a deep breath or I have to yawn to try to breathe.  I have been seen by a cardiologist, allergist, pulmonary specialist, gastroentrologist and have had all sorts of tests done also.  EKG, chest x-ray, echocardiogram, stress test, breathing tests, CAT Scan, and allergy tests (I looked like a porcupine brushed up against me!).  Everything has come back showing nothing is wrong.  Which on one hand is great, but on the other hand, what am I supposed to do about my breathing.  I have no idea what to do next!  Sometimes my breathing is so bad that I have to literally bend over and I still can't catch my breath.  I yawn all the time to catch that breath of air,  I yawn the minute I wake up from my sleep and I am getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I'm not tired, I just yawn!
Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.  
Thanks.
The part that confuses my husband is that when I rest or lay down, I do not struggle for a deep breath.  I don't find it too odd, though, because after thinking about it, when at rest it is not as necessary to take a deep breath.  However, I can't lay around all day.  I get good sleep and my husband said he doesn't hear breathing difficulty while I sleep.  Do you also experience no problems when at rest?
O MY GOD THANK YOU ...at least I no im not crazy...I quit smoking about 5 months ago and at first I had the same problem. But it got a little better so I thought cool. My Doctor said it was anxiety. Well its back and its bad Im going crazy trying to take a deep breath, I mean I go to work and exercise,clean house and all that but my family just look at me because im always sitting there raising my chest trying to get a deep breath in. the whole yawning thing ,I just thought that there was something wrong with me that I just cant yawn ..O how I wish I could just stop all this crazy feeling. And get back to breathing good, like when i did smoke. they said quitting would make me feel great but it has drove me crazy with this breathing thing.Any ideas on how to make it go away? My husband just says quit thinking about it,you can make it stop if you want to but then Im like ya I enjoy not breathing normally.
Well Thanks I think im going to save this site to show him i not crazy other people have the same problem as me.

Joy
Hi all, I'm a 45 year old male, smoker. ( only about 1/2 pack a day, sometimes less ) I know I should quit, one day I will. ( hopefully voluntarily ! ) Anyway, I've had this yawning/breathing thing on and off for about 4 years ! It used to be just in the winter, now it's all the time. This episode has lasted about 5 months. My chest gets sore from the yawning all the time. Coincidentaly, or maybe not, I also have a chronice tightness in my neck/shoulder area. I don't know if the breathing is stuck because my chest is "sore", or vice-versa. I've tried Allegra, Tylenol sinus, all kinds of homeopathy. It's weird but it's actually better I believe if I'm on the treadmill. Could it be I breath better through my mouth? I really feel for you, as it is difficult to stay in a good mood when you feel all tensed up in the jaw and chest etc. Mine seems to be worse when I'm standing or sitting up, which also seems to make my shoulders feel more stiff. I'm kind of afraid to go to the doctor with it, it's been so long. I did have a chest X-ray and EKG for what turned out to be a pulled chest muscle about 3 years ago. Both were fine. The one thing that seems to snap me out of it last time was just trying to really believe it was "nothing to worry about", and really relax and breath through my stomach. Which I did initially when lying down watching T.V. The next day I felt better, but of course it came back.  I think it's something mental, as I don't seem to have this problem near as bad if something else is wrong. ( cold, or even a hangover ! ) Let me know how you're doing and if you stumble on anything that works. I think it's really in our head, and the more we concentrate and fret over it the more we exhaust our chest muscles yawning all the time. Anyway, good luck.

ken
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?