Respiratory Disorders Community

unknown paralyzed diaphragm

I am a 23 year old woman that struggles daily to merly get out of bed and the doctors cant eve tell me what caused this to happen to me. Mother s day of 2006 I went into complete respitory failure and was hospitalized. It was then discovered that i had bilateral paralyzation of the diphragm. It is not known what the cause is I have been to several differnt hospitals on the North East coast ever test imaginable has all come back negative for any diagnosis of my symptoms. I suffer daily with fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, muscle and joint pain, I'm on a cpap machine 24 hours a day. In august I had a peg tube (feeding tube) placed to decompress my stomach of air that presses on my diaphram causing my lungs to colapse. They cannot put a pace maker on my phernic nerve because they tried to stimulate the nerve with no response. If anyone has any insite please let me know I'm at a loss as to what the next step is. My PFT's show I only use 23 percent of my lungs capabilty. My CK levels in my blood is almost 1,000 and should only be in the 200's and they can't give me a reason for any of this. Please Help
I am so sorry that you are going through this..I too have bilateral diaphragmatic weakness, my nerve functions okay but it is my muscles that have failed. I started with shortness of breath and not being able to do anything, working became very difficult. I was hospitalized repeatedly for what docs thought was ''athmatic" issues and treated me as such but I didn't get better...I was finally transferred to a bigger hospital where they determined that it was my diaphragm, not the asthma.
To make a long story short, I am now on a ventilator full time. I used to be on BiPAP...I see that you are on CPAP. I could not tolerate CPAP for one very important reason: I could inhale with the pressures but could not exhale against them so I was placed on BiPAP instead which operates with two different pressures instead of one continuous one like CPAP. The inhaled pressure is higher than the exhaled pressure, this helps with breathing out and also prevents CO2 build up. People with muscular issues have a hard time with CPAP because they can't seem to exhale against the pressure due to the weakness in their muscles. It might be worth considering to switch to BiPAP, you will find it easier to breathe with it. I was ultimately on 20/5 for pressure (inspiratory pressure: 20 cmH20, expiratory pressure 5 cmH20) prior to being vented. I also had a huge problem with gastric distention from the BiPAP, I have severe reflux disease which did not help my situation. I found that sleeping half on my stomache helped but not always. I am glad that the PEG helps with that for you, it is just so uncomfortable
The docs also don't know why this happened to me...they have done muscle biopsies on me which have come back inconclusive for mitochonidrial disease or glycogen storage diseases such as Pompe's type II. Have the doctors done biopsies on you? That would be helpful if the docs haven't done them yet to you. With a CK like that, it could easily be a dystrophy or the above. Mine was only slightly elevated at one time, it has been normal for years now.
I really feel for you, I know how frustrating and frightening this is....before I was vented, my PFT's were only showing about 13% of my lung function, it was pathetic. My oxygenation was also not great with exertion, I was on O2 with activity. All of this was gradual...my PFT's weren't too bad at first, over the course of two years they dropped to the 13%. ABG's, same thing...but right off the bat I needed O2, BiPAP was added shortly thereafter. Two years later, I was vented because  was on BiPAP and O2 24/7 with no quality of life.
If you ever want to email me, I am just a click away. Sunny
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?