Restless Leg Syndrome Community
109 Members

Allergy to IVP dye and benydryl.

I am going  to have a CT scan next week on my kidneys and there's a small chance I may need the CT scan with contrast dye. I had an allergic reaction to the dye years ago. It wasn't serious, just a few hives on my face and I felt fine. I was told that the allergic reactions can get worse so to make sure it's on my record.

Several years ago, I had an abdominal test, can't remember name but not CT Scan with contrast. They put the benydryl in the IV line, the test was short, but about five minutes later I had about the worse RLS symptoms I've  ever had. I was literally screaming for the ER staff to give me something to help. I finally got a large dose of IV Ativan and one minute later I was fine. Unbelievable!

If I need to have the contrast, is there something that can prevent this from happening. Would something like steroids help if I cant take the benadryl?

Any imput is appreciated. I would think this has happened to others.

Thanks in advance.  

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease