Restless Leg Syndrome Community
109 Members

How does RLS/PLMD affect You?

I'm wondering if anybody else out there is affected by RLS/PLMD in the same way I am.  It's very specific.  Only when I'm falling asleep, my foot will jerk, sometimes rapidly, followed by the whole leg making a violent jerk.  There is no sleeping thru that.  Once it starts, I know I'm in for a long night because it does not stop.  Even if it does, then the other leg will start doing it.  (There is that creepy-crawly sensation a microsecond before the jerks, but I can't stop it from happening.)  This started in the early '80's with mild episodes 2 or 3 times a week but has increased strongly over the years.

I have incredible empathy for anyone suffering from this affliction / curse and pray daily that the true cause will soon be identified.
I believe I was born with RLS I have at least had it for as long as i can remember.  I am now in my 60's and have learned a lot of ways to cope wit RLS.  I know for me if I over eat it will be worse, If I gain weight it will be worse, if I take meds that make me sleepy it will be worse, playing games and stuff on a computermake it worse,what makes it better, cold I live in Ohio and if my RLS acts up I go outside and sit barefooted or walk around on the porch no matter how cold it is.  This will stop it. I believe it is a wake up thing, if you can get yourself totally wide awake it will go away, and usually, for me anyway, will not come back that night.  I have taken gabapintin and primaproxil for years but I found you have to take them early enough that they don't really make you sleepy, If you take them later again it is worse.  So I take mine at 5 or 6 and if it is a bad night I will take an extra one before going to the porch for 5 or 10 min.   I was a DES daughter and my mother had a placenta previa with me.  I was a repeat classical C section and the incision was made thru the placenta, she had a rapid blood loss and was without a natural pulse for I think it was 20 minutes.  I did a report on it in nursing school but for some reason didn't get information on myself to see if the rapid blood loss in any way affected me.   I wonder if either of these cercumstances were responsible for my RLS.  Any thoughts?  
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease