Exaggerated tiredness

Has anyone else with an RA diagnosis been dealing with a constant bone-weary tiredness?? Just wondering if its just me.  Thanks so much!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's extremely common, and when you think about it, it's really no surprise. Your body is in a full-on war with itself, burning up tremendous amounts of energy. It's no wonder we don't have any left to do anything else!

Modern rheumatology is only now beginning to recognize fatigue as a real symptom of this disease, not just a side effect or something minor. In many cases, fatigue can be more of a limiting factor than pain and stiffness.

To communicate this to your doctor, it might help to keep a simple diary that tracks your pain, stiffness, and fatigue levels. If you're handy with a spreadsheet program, chart everything so you can see the rise and fall of your symptoms over time. Sometimes one day runs into another, so tracking symptoms can give you something concrete to look at.

Hang in there!
Helpful - 0
Wonderful advice! Thank you so much!
Helpful - 0
I know exactly what you are talking about.  It's a battle for me to get up in the morning.  I really struggle with getting motivated to do anything.  Additional sleep does not help. I am really struggling with this and have been for the last four years.
Helpful - 0
Hi sherij.

My suggestion would be to try a very low carb, carb free diet or anti-arthritis diet (just look it up) for a few weeks and see if you experience improvement.
Carbs and sugars in general are the preferred food for yeast metabolites, which in turn are the main diet of tartaric acid which conventional doctors NEVER mention - a muscle and tissue toxin -
which unfortunately is a malic acid antagonist/ competes with malic acid-a very important compound for the Kreb's cycle ( metabolic process ).

While you're at it you may want to consider to rule out Candida by doing a saliva test on your own for it. Just look it up-fairly fast and simple. Tiredness and fatigue are common Candida symptoms.

Many people experience autoimmune- like symptoms from gluten - as the immune system may react negatively to the gluten molecules.
Also glucose molecules in the body may bind with free protein molecules,
forming what is known as glucation, rendering  proteins not only useless,
but also initiating a very serious process of inflammation which leads to the formation of clusters of glucation called AGEs (advanced glucation end products) and TNF (tumor necrosis factor) responsible for many illnesses like all sorts of Arthritic conditions, Alzheimers, Psoriasis and many others.

Wheat grains and gluten are the #1 food group for adverse reactions and dairy is #2. Often due to cross-reactivity people who react to wheat and gluten, may also react to dairy.

The other thing to rule out is thyroid dysfunction - to rule out any thyroid connection to your condition- and the easiest way to do this is to do Dr Barnes Basal Temperature Test on your own.
This will give you a good indication -barring the presence of any infectious condition at the time of testing- about thyroid or adrenal function.
Please do a search for this and follow the simple instructions precisely.

FYI, I have posted this information in other forums as well, but please note that it is not intended as a substitute for medical advice.

Take good care and should you need more details or have any questions, please post again or message me personally.
Niko
Helpful - 0
It's most likely the RA.  That was my first symptom.  I did not know it at the time.  I thought I was just out of shape.  Exercise made it worse. I still get it.  I know now to just give it time.  Usually I wake up without it in less than a week.  Coffee helps. Ibuprofen or Aleve helps but I'm not sure we're supposed to take Aleve.  Need to ask your doc about that.
Helpful - 0
It is definitely the RA.  Have had RA for 2 years, and as I have shared on other posts, and as TheLightSeeker says above, nutrition is key for the bone weary tiredness.  I cut out red meat, bread, limited my dairy; eat mostly fresh organic vegetables and fruits (whole or juiced).  Educate yourself on food.  It will make the exhaustion manageable. And just recently, I have discovered something called "food grade diatomaceous earth" that you can put in your morning juice or oatmeal and gives me enormous amounts of energy and provides assistance for a healthy gut.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?