rhumatic fever with normal bloodwork ?

Hello everyone.

My problem started about a year ago with a flu-like illness. Most symptoms passed but what remains essentially are various muscle and joint pains around my body.

Also i was told to have no less than 3 echocardiograms during this period. The first was normal, the second had very mild mitral insufficiency and the third showed my left ventricul to be borderline too heavy.

This made me think of rheumatic fever, although my pains aren't only in my joints. Doctors brush this off because i'm too old to have it, but i am only 21 ! Also my blood work does not add up with rheumatic fever. No signs of inflammation in 4 different rounds of tests (crp, sedimention rate,  complete blood count) starting from about 7 to 10 days after onset of symptoms until now. Also normal ASO (strep antibodies) levels (although 6 to 7 months after onset).

So my question is simple, can it be rheumatic fever with absolutely no blood signs of any infection, inflammation for almost a year ? Should i rule this one out ?

Sincere thanks for any thoughts/experiences on this.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
There are 100 types of arthritis, many with overlapping symptoms and sometimes it is impossible to use one single medical label which encompasses all the symptoms the sufferer may be experiencing.
And yes, it is possible that you had Rheumatic Fever, even if you did not meet the recommended diagnostic criteria for Rheumatic Fever, since not all patients fulfill the "Modified Jones Criteria" as shown below.

Diagnostic : 1 Required Criteria and 2 Major Criteria and 0 Minor Criteria

Diagnostic : 1 Required Criteria and 1 Major Criteria and 2 Minor Criteria

Required Criteria
Evidence of antecedent Strep infection: ASO / Strep antibodies / Strep group A throat culture / Recent scarlet fever / anti-deoxyribonuclease B / anti-hyaluronidase
Major Diagnostic Criteria
-Carditis
-Polyarthritis
-Chorea
-Erythema marginatum
-Subcutaneous Nodules
Minor Diagnostic Criteria
-Fever
-Arthralgia
-Previous rheumatic fever or rheumatic heart disease
-Acute phase reactions: ESR / CRP / Leukocytosis
-Prolonged PR interval

The question is, if you had Rheumatic Fever,, which lasts on the average
a little over 100 days, is it in your case a re-infection or some other complication/consequence like another type of arthritic (seronegative) condition
Note seronegativity can go on for a couple years, before most patients'
titers go up enough to be detected by tests.

I would not recommend you devote too much time and effort in puruing this further.
My opinion is to invest time and effort in strengthening your immune system, by optimizing your diet -low carb, low glycemic, alkalizing, avoiding processed foods, conventional meats, junk foods etc.
Coconut oil is an incredible functional food that should take the place of harmful and inflammation causing cooking oils.
It does not alter when heated and it has antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitic
and antimicrobial properties.
Recommended intake for therapeutic purposes is 5-8 tablespoons daily,
but one should start at 1T daily and gradually increase by 1T every week.
You should try a gluten- free diet, since gluten is often implicated in many
conditions. Also dairy, which is not tolerated by 1/2 of all people who are sensitive to gluten. if you do try this, you have to stay gf  for a few months
as gluten and its effects tend to linger around for a long time. Yikes!

Please note that my comments are not intended to replace medical advice.

Best wishes,
Niko
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?