SPOAK Online Community
5 Members

Food Challenges and Experiences

Our SPOAK group encounters many people who are asking questions in regards to food challenges.  Some travel to Mt. Sinai in NYC and have become part of a test group, while others are thinking of doing it, but just need some emotional support.  Please post here if you have had any type of experience with a food challenge.

SPOAK Mods
My son had his first test challenge at his local doctor's office when he was five years old.  He had one Anaphalaxis reaction on his first birthday (to milk) and was on avoidance of milk since.  Based on a few slip ups of undeclared milk products in things he ate, I decided to ask the doc about testing as he clearly had no reactions to these products he ate.  He said to bring in some Ice Cream and eat it in the office with him.  Well, needless to say he had some anxiety (my son) as well as his mother, but had no problems eating the few scoops.  

These days, docs generally don't do them in the office setting.  In fact my son is on a waitlist to be tested for his other allergies at Mt. Sinai hospital for some of the things we see him outgrowing based on RAST and the skin testing.  I hope to post good news about that in the near future.

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.