STDs - International Forum

STD Testing & Treatment

I live in Japan.  During recent trip had unprotected sex with CSW.  Details as follows:

* Day 1 -  unprotected oral and brief unprotected vaginal sex with CSW
  * Day 2 - 3 - penile discomfort (i.e., sore testicle, frequent urination, slight burning, NO discharge, NO pain)
  * Day 3 - went to clinic in Japan - blood/urine sample taken and sent out for testing
  * Day 3 - blood sample indicated elevated WBC - doctor prescribed FLOMOX (100g x 7days x 3/day) which I believe is a 2nd-Generation Cephalosporin
  * Day 10 - test results negative for Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Herpes, etc. - Doctor suggested NGU as cause; additional blood test indicated normal WBC
  * Day 13 - 20 presence of very small pimple on upper-inner thigh raises Syphilis concern (this is not the first time i've had one, however given the timing...)

I'm posting here is because I don't speak Japanese well enough to be clear on everything the Doctor conveyed.  As far as he's concerned I'm fine on all counts.  At the same time having read through this forum I have concerns on the thoroughness of the testing given the timing of the samples taken.  

Would appreciate then a response on the following:

1. Should I get re-tested for all HIV/STD's absent any further symptoms?  If so, when?
2. If I was infected with an STD, which ones would have been treated by the FLOMOX prescription?
3. Although abstaining from all sexual activities with my girlfriend - is she at risk (assuming I still have some STD) of infection from other means of transmission (e.g., kissing, sharing food, etc.)?

Thank you
Hello evonty1231,
Thank you for your post.  Here are the answers to your questions:

HIV, SYPHILIS AND HEPATITIS B SHOULD BE TESTED AFTER 4 WEEKS IN ORDER TO HAVE A RELIABLE CONCLUSIVE RESULT.  ALL THE OTHERS CAN BE CONSIDERED TOTALLY RELIABLE AT THE TIME TESTED

FLOMOX IS NOT AVAILABLE IN EUROPE AS IT IS AN ANTIBIOTIC ONLY USED IN JAPAN.  AS FAR AS I KNOW, IT IS A CEPHALOSPORIN AND MIGHT BE EFFECTIVE AGAINST A NUMBER OF INFECTIONS, MOSTLY NOT SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED. IT IS A BROAD SPECTRUM ANTIBIOTIC.  IT MIGHT BE EFFECTIVE AGAINST GONORRHOEA ONLY, BUT I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS FACT.

NOT AT ALL, IF YOU ABSTAIN FROM SEXUAL INTERCOURSE.  NO RISK FROM KISSING OR SHARING FOOD.

Best wishes,
Dr Jose
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.