STDs - International Forum

Severe symptoms but non-reactive test result

Dear Doctors:  I would like to ask for your opinion on the following case:

Last July I ingested of a couple of drops of breast milk while having protected sex with a prostitute in South America.  At the time I was suffering a bad case of GERD as I had run out of my medication (Pantoprazole).  From past experience I know that http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new_with_new_subject?forum_id=384#the lining of my oesophagus would have been in bad condition.  I thought about, but did not take PEP, something that I deeply regret.

On to my concern: About a week after the incident, I started to have a sore throat and a mild case of diarrhea.  My condition would worsen to include swollen lymph nodes behind my right ear, muscle ache in my lower back, sudden and drastic weight loss, complete and prolonged loss of appetite (took weeks to recover), severe malaise, night sweats, exhaustion, an oral ulcer, rash on my left arm and swelling in the left side of my abdomen.  Three weeks after the incident (now back in Canada), my GP sent me for an HIV test (4th gen duo), which returned non-reactive.  In all, I have tested at weeks 3, 4, 6, 12 and 27 with the same sort of test.  To my surprise, all the results have been non-reactive.  I also tested negative for VRDL (week 3) and HCV (week 22) and a general white bood-cell count at three weeks came back normal.  My health is usually excellent.

Due to the nature, timing and severity of my symptoms, I am still extremely worried about the possibility of having contracted HIV.  However, my GP believes something would have turned up by now and wants me to stop testing. I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you very much,
D_123
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
I strongly believe that your sexual encounter involved a very low risk of HIV infection.  I say this because you mention that it was a couple of drops of breast milk, and even if this had HIV, your saliva and gastric juices would have neutralised the virus, even if your oesophageal lining had been in a bad condition.
In addition to that, you have had fully conclusive test results for a HIV Duo test of 4th generation.  All the negative tests after 4 weeks are final and fully conclusive.
Therefore I can assure you that you are HIV negative and none of these symptoms do not have anything to do with HIV.  I agree with your doctor.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Doctor Gonzalez, Thank you for the reply. Have you ever had a patient return a positive p24 component, but negative antibody component of a 4th generation test (i.e., during seroconversion)?  I ask because I understand there is some disagreement regarding the efficacy of the p24 test.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.