STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Appropriate treatment?

I developed noticeable chest tightness and slight chest pressure when breathing about a 10 days ago. Just 4 days ago it developed into a severe cough and then the next day into sinus congestion. It was severe enough to keep me up for two nights and also I noticed severe pressure to urinate, yet the flow and amount was very little. I went to the doctor and on the way noticed my lower back bothered me.  I asked if I could be tested for STDs, but was directed to a urologist. My primary did however take a urine specimen and told me I have aurinary tract infection. Put me on Cipro 500 mg 2x day...but insisted I go to urologist for more testing. Can't get an appointment for 2.5 weeks.

How do I know if the cipro, which has caused most symptoms to subside, is the right antibiotic?
The doctor was surprised to hear there was no discharge, only the pressure and very slight burning sensation a couple weeks ago, shortly after some unprotected oral sex. I've read that if it's Chlamydia or Gonorrhea and not treated it can infect your kidneys also. I've felt slight pressure in rump when sitting. Should I just go to emergency room or wait for my 2.5 week appoinment?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.