Are symptoms possible in less than 24 hours?

I had intercourse with a random young woman recently. We are both 21. Before intercourse, while still dressed, she was grinding on me pretty hard. A condom was used in the end, but her underwear was rather skimpy and at that point i wasnt wearing any, so there was a brief moment where our genitals touched before i put the condom on (approx 5 seconds of contact). Approximately 18 hours later while showering, i noticed a single flat red spot just below the head on the underside of my penis. It causes no discomfort unless I touch it. It is flat and does not have any kind of opening or fluid eminating. I had an appointment at my univeristy clinic approximately 30 hours after intercourse (about 12 hours after noticing symptoms). The nurse practioner examined me and said since i do not know her sexual history and we had brief genital contact, an std is not impossible. however, she said it is not likely that the symptoms of an std would show up in less than 24 hours and that the lesion did not resemble the usual appearance of an std. She also said it would be too soon to run a test. She suggested that it may be irritation or small abrasion from my underwear or zipper from when she was grinding on me. She said it was not necessary to come back unless symptoms worsen. I read that herpes is best caught by tests as soon as symptoms appear. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting tested or has had a similar experience? I thought i had herpes once before but the DOH laughed(literally, the dr chuckled) at me bc they were just flea bites from by ex-girlfriends dog. Am i being paranoid? should i go back and insist on a test? should i seek a second opinion? Any information or feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
additon: we were fully clothed while grinding. the skimpy underwear bit came later
Your contact was no risk. The nurse practitioner gave you the correct advice.Take care.
agree with the nurse however you could have herpes from a previous exposure.  Only you know your history.  If the spot you are mentioning here begins to appear like a blister filled with water can be very small in size by the way there also could be a cluster of such blisters go immediately to the doctor or a clinic.  They will be able to swab the fluids and tell you exactly if it is herpes and what strain.  I personally will tell you as I have HSV1 it is nothing to worry about if you have HSV2 more to think about but these sores hurt best thing to do is like the nurse said return if symptoms persist.  Good luck.
thank you folks for responding. i appreciate the input. jah bless

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.