STDs / STIs Community

Chapped Lips/Red Bumps

A little over 2 months ago I noticed my lips were always chapped so I began to put chap stick on them routinely, at least 5-6 times a day and once before I went to sleep.  Over the course of time my face has began to breakout, which isn't a big deal, I have had bad acne/pimples my entire life but about 3 weeks ago I noticed a small patch of white dots appeared on the very corner of my mouth.  They do not hurt and you can only really see them when i push my lip out with my tongue.  I have since then seen a Dr and he insisted they were cists and would eventually go away so I said okay, no big deal.  A week after my visit I noticed that a few red bumps had appeared right above my upper lip.  They do not hurt at all they are just slightly raised but have been there about 2 weeks.  Normally my acne/pimples go away within 3-5 days but these just kind of linger.  I have had oral sex with my girlfriend a few times but that was months before this happened, we are currently in a long distance relationship. I am worried the red dots might be herpes but more I am worried about my lips always being chapped.  There is truly nothing right now that has helped: 6 different kinds of chap stick, Vaseline before I sleep.  Thank you for your time and help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Its not sounding like herpes, and I'd follow up with your doctor.  I wonder if you know have a reaction from one of the chap sticks.

Aj
I am pretty sure that it isn't herpes but I didn't know if dry/chapped lips maybe associated with having herpes.  My lips aren't dry in just one spot, it is my entire lips.  I guess that thinking it is herpes comes from the part of me that always expects the worse.  I am very careful and have only had 2 sexual partners, so I feel like it isn't herpes but these dry/chapped lips are driving me crazy.  I really just wanted to see what other people thought before I went back to the doctor.  I am a struggling college student so doctors visits aren't exactly easy to come by.  Thank you for time and help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Does your college have a student health center?  Most do, so you should try there.

Aj
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.