STDs / STIs Community

Chlamydia Meds - Question

Does anyone know if Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim is affective agianst chlamydia.  I thought I read that Dr. said it was.  But am not sure.

Thx
Sulfa drugs were commonly used against Gonorrhea and Chlamydia in the 30's and 40's and still remain effective against Chlamydia....not so much against Gonorrhea. However, resistance to sulfa drugs has steadily increased and typically treatment for one includes treatment for the other.. and today Chlamydia is usually treated with doxycycline.
Do you know what the dosage would be for Sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim to work on Chlamydia?
I'm afraid I can't answer that question. I'm not a doctor.  I'll see if I can find any info though.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.