Chlamydia Testing & Treatment

I have to say a do not agree with the doctors opinion due to my own situation I have had over the last few years. I have posted in other locations for the this problem in 2008 when i first had unprotected sex. My experience with the health care system for std's I have to say has not been a good one. I feel like I have found more information online than the doctors are aware of. My recent infection again is very similar to my last with Urine testing for Chlamydia not being accurate and the results come back negative with persistent symptoms. Both times, in 2008 and now it has taken a swab sample to come back with positive results for Chlamydia.
Here is my recent problem which until I see the urologist on Wednesday I am not sure what he will do, I had to request the Lavaquin in 2008 and i took it in its entirety after having to go through a 6 month ordeal. The symptoms finally cleared and except for an occasional feeling a couple of times I was fine.
If you can find my older post on here you can view my entire story.
Below is a brief recap of my new situation.
Its 2011 and I think that the Lavaquin (6 weeks worth) worked but recently i had unprotected sex with a new partner. I developed symptoms the next day itchy urethra, frequent urination, went to docs, urine test, Negative, (same dam nightmare here as 2008 with 3 urine test all negative) went to urologist for persistent symptoms. I wanted a swab test! Most places do urine test now and even a place i went to locally switched to urine test. I can't understand this with my situation alone and what seems like problems with everyone. The medical community is sending infected people back out to infect others and telling them there test are negative!
I asked for a swab test and because i had insurance they did it and guess what? thats right, positive for Chlamydia!

I have to see what the urologist wants to do now. I am not very hopeful they have any clue what to do.
I recently found a post on this site for a Dr Attila Toth in NY who has a whole new way of dealing with Chlamydia in the prostate but he is far away, he does not accept insurance so it leaves me with coming out of pocket with what could be over $5000 and traveling to NY from Boston or dealing with doctors here that appear to not have a clue.
Looking for better answer and a new look at a very common problem with Chlamydia expected to double in infected people over the next few years the medical community and the cdc should be stepping up its diagnosis and treatment of this problem.
thanks for listening

This discussion is related to Prostatitis/Chlamydia.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you tried to add to a post on the experts forum that wasn't yours so it was bumped over to here.

grace
Helpful - 0
Hi Grace
I guess I did not see that. maybe I'll get more reply's here

Michael
Helpful - 0
What is your exact question?
Helpful - 0
I don't really have a question now. Its more of a statement of my experiences having to deal with this twice in the last 4 years. The Urine sample testing for stds is not always going to be reliable and that to me is a big problem because the doctors and clinics will send people back into the world with diseases and they can and will spread these unknowingly to others and they wonder why Chlamydia is the fastest growing std. This is clearly one of the problems.
Maybe the CDC should take a better look at this!
thansk
Michael    
Helpful - 0
urine testing is accurate for the vast majority of people who get it done.

the main reason chlamydia is spreading is because folks just plain don't get tested and they won't use condoms to protect themselves. Look at the posts we get here each day - out of the 30-100 posts each day,  3/4's of folks at least are here because they did not use a condom for oral and/or genital sex. Not protecting yourself and not getting tested regularly is how you can contract it, not realize it and spread it to others. Most folks assume that if you had a std you'd know it but the most common symptom of all std's is, NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL.  It's not the testing that is failing, it's the people having sex failing.

Helpful - 0
Hi Grace
I appreciate your response and I agree that people will fail to do the right thing as in my case and many others by not using a condom and there could be many reasons for this including unaware you have an STD. I believe there should be a new strategy to confront this and other problems facing us all.
I think that you may be right about most urine tests are accurate but I don't think in light of the problem the world is facing, with the increasing STD's, that most is good enough. It did not show up in my case on 2 separate occasions and over 5 urine tests. That's ridiculous!
Many men show clear symptoms and are actually getting tested and they are sent home thinking they are free of disease. This could be for many reasons but clearly in my case at two different locations the urine test failed.
Thanks to my persistence alone in seeking out a swab test did i find out that I indeed had chlamydia.
Then after that positive test the urologist needed to be educated by me as to how to treat the std in the prostate. I'm sure they have a lot going on but if you cant go the urologist for help and there are not enough locations in ones area to help you (std clinics), chlamydias numbers will increase dramatically by this alone. Clinics often refer you back to the urologist if symptoms persist after they give you the standard medications that should have worked but didn't.  
There will always be people having unprotected sex (I'm not condoning this) no matter what you do or say so to get results in eradicating stds we should not be relying on this as a means to a healthy society.
thank you
Michael  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.