STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Conflicting Medical Opions- Help

I beleive that my children may have been exposed to HSV1 by a relative.  About a week after the possible exposure, my three year old had a fever for one night.  After about 10 days she developed a red spot on her lip that never appeared to blister and resolved in 5-6 days.  We took her to a dermatologist but the spot was already gone.  He was not concerned (we were) but wrote out orders for a lab test if we wanted to do it.

3-4 times in the last 3 1/2 months, my daughter has gotten a red mark on her lips.  It starts off a little red and by day two, it looks like a thin red paper cut.  It usually disappears by day two or three.  My son who is 20 months old also has had a red looking cut that disappeared in two days.

My three year old routinely bites her nails so I think that is a possibility.  We had her tested anyway.
The HSV IGM AB Screen said "Detected" but the reference range said "Not Detected". and the HSV IGM AB Titer range was <1:10.

The HSV 1/2 IGG, Herpeselect Type Specific AB showed <0.90 for Type 1 & 2. The explanation of test results says that this would be a negative.

Our pediatrician did not know how to read the results and called an infectious disease person who said the test was "inconclusive".  We faxed results to a dermatologist who said that both tests were negative. We later found out that the fax was dark and they did not see the "Detected" on IGM.

The test was performed 14 weeks after possible exposure.

Questions:
1) Does it sound like my three year old has HSV1?
2) Could these red lines be herpes outbreaks that are  mild and heal quickly?  Some websites say that it can look like a cut.
COMMUNITY LEADER
The problem here is that blood tests aren't going to be all that accurate on your kids.

The IgM should only be used on newborns, and the IgG isn't meant to be used on anyone under 14.  

Your daughter could have hsv1, its really just hard to say.  Yes, they can sometimes look like cuts, but since she also bites her nails (a sign of anxiety, by the way), it could be from that.  She could also be biting her lip.

I guess I have to ask what is the big deal if she has it?  Or if your son does?  Hsv1 is sooooo common that if they don't have it now, they will probably get it at some point in their lives.

My twin nephews got it at about a year and a half, and had a bad first outbreak.  One has had one small outbreak since, (they are now 3), and the other hasn't had any sign at all.

My niece, who is about 20 months old, has shown no signs.

I know you want to protect them from everything, but its just not possible.  If your relative didn't infect them, probably some kid at day care or school will.  Or they will get it from kissing when they are older.

Its also quite possible that you or wife have it.  Up to 80% of the population does, and only 20-40% of those will ever have a cold sore.  This just isn't that big of a deal, ok?

AJ
1. Why are you so worried about this?
2. If they actually have HSV1, what will you do differently?
3. If they do not have HSV1, what will you do differently?
I know what you are saying.  Everyone thinks that we are overreacting.  I guess it is the over-protective parent in me and the fact that I wish the relative would have used better judgement.  We are also expecting a third child and we have heard that you have to be careful around newborns.

I read that the IGG test isn't approved for children but many drugs and maybe tests are not officially approved only because the companies do not spend the money to test them on children.

I appreciate your feedback and support!!!

It's not that the blood tests for herpes aren't approved for children under 14 - it's that they are inaccurate.  The values for the tests are based on an adult blood volume - not on the lower blood volume of a child. we currently don't have any accurate blood tests for herpes for children. even the igm isn't useful for children once they are over 2-3 months of age.  there is no point in drawing blood test for herpes in a child under 14 years of age so it shouldn't be done.

Due to the frequency of recurrence of symptoms in your children - I encourage you to continue following up when they have symptoms within 24-48 hours of the appearance of symptoms with either their pediatrician or a pediatric dermatologist to figure out what is going on. If they feel that their symptoms look like herpes - then they can have a lesion culture done to confirm it.  this could be many things going on from a contact dermatitis ( chapsticks, food dyes etc ) to even infection ( like impetigo ).  Getting them seen in a timely manner is important to getting to the bottom of it all.  

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.