Do STIs become worse overtime?

People say to not wait to get checked out and not wait until it starts to be painful. Will that eventually happen with any STI? For example, I know some don't experience any symptoms... but if you leave it for 3 years, will symptoms eventually show up?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi depends on the std. things like gono and chlamydia can clear up on there own but things like herpes there is no cure. just depends on the std
Like another example is discharge. I know some stis can produce discharge. If you experience this and choose to ignore it for 3-4 years, would it get worse and worse or stay the same till u get it checked out.
if you had a white puss discharge you would also have burning while urinating and you could not agnore it as it would be very painful

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.