STDs / STIs Community

Effectiveness of Immediate Antibiotic Usage

I had unprotected oral sex with an individual whose sexual history I am unaware of, 2 days ago. What is the effectiveness of taking the conventional antibiotic treatment for chlamydia and gonorrhea, as a preemptive measure. I am beginning to have minor discomfort and more frequent urination, though this does not seem conclusive in any sense. Would taking antibiotics be able to combat the conditions at this time? Or is a longer period needed? I haven't found any material on the period required for these stds to be responsive to antibiotic treatment. Your response is greatly appreciated.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Self treating is never a good idea, and you really should get tested.  Why take meds you don't need?  If you take meds now, and it doesn't relieve the symptoms, then you can't test for 2 weeks or you could get a false negative.

You can test for gonorrhea, chlamydia and NGU at a week, so just wait and test.

Aj
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.