STDs / STIs Community

HIV symptoms have me scared and shook!! Help!

Here is my story. On October 3rd, 2008 I had a sexual encounter with another male (I am also male) that I did not know very well. I had protected anal receptive and unprotected oral sex. I asked him his status and he told me he tested negative two months prior. The sex lasted about 20 minutes as I was uncomfortable and I can remember checking two or three times to make sure he still had the condom on. Soon we parted ways and two days later I had a bowel movement. What I saw (sorry I know its gross) in the toilet bowl scared me. There was a large amount of white smelly mucus mixed in with my stool. In the back of my mind I was thinking it was semen, but upon closer inspection it looked and smelled like mucus that sometimes comes out after I have an enema. (I had an enema the night of the sexual encounter). I went on about my week with no problems until about a week after (October 10th) when I had very painful diarrhea. My anus/rectum seemed to be inflamed and HURT. After bowel movements I was still in pain back there for two days. Finally the pain ceased. I was too embarrassed or scared to goto the ER. A day or so later my bowel movements were not only painful when passing but now had a dark red/mucus coated to them and a foul smell. I became very constipated and had to really do some pushing to have a bowel movement. I thought I must have caught Gonorrhea or Chalmydia from him rimming me and so I took a 5 day Z-pack of antibiotics. I stopped the antibiotics because they were causing me to have extreme diarrhea and hives after day 4. Benadryl cured that. Around this time I got a really bad sinus cold and was very fatigued and constipated. I was in bed for about a week and finally felt a bit better. My bowel movements continued to have this coated/foul smell. At three weeks and two days I had an anonymous HIV test (oral swab) and I got the results a few days later (Negative). Around this time I noticed along with the constipation my stomach was throbbing and my lower abdomen had a feeling of pressure that wouldn't go away. A couple of days later this dull numbness and pressure made its way down to my right testicle. By this time I was completely freaked and went to the ER. They ran blood tests, urine test, CT scan of my abdomen, and an ultrasound of my testicles. They tested my urine for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia (Negative). They wouldn't give me an HIV test because I was being sent home. I was sent home with Vicodin for pain and told to make an appointment with my physician. The ER doctor asked me if it was possible I had an STD and I told him yes. He assured me I was tested for everything "major" that could kill me and my bloodwork was "super. I went home with major diarrhea for three days (due to the dye that was given to me for the CT scan according the the ER doctor) and began searching on the Internet and this really got me depressed. The numbness/pressure in my lower abdomen along with the throbbing ceased, but my testicles continued to be dull and had pressure. The diarrhea ceased after 3 days like the Dr. said it would. This dull pain in my testicles would discontinue when I would lay down, but anytime I stood for a bit or sat for a while it would persist. During this time I began to notice my throat felt strange. My esophagus and soft palate began to feel weird and I could feel small bumps. I can't explain it. Upon inspection with a flashlight in the mirror I noticed my uvula had a red spot on it and my circumvallate papillae were swollen and my tongue was tender (this is all in the back of my throat). My throat felt tight like someone was choking me. I freaked out again and went to the ER. They ran my blood and did a throat culture for mono along with an X-ray of my throat. It came back negative and I was again sent home with anxiety medicine. The told me I was having a panic attack. The swelling in my throat made me feel horrible and I was sent home from work because I was feeling so bad. I decided to goto a Medical Express center down the street from my job. There I saw a Doctor who informed me that I had a sinus infection. I asked him if he was sure because of the bumps in my throat. He said he was and informed me I had swollen lymph nodes under my chin. He sent me on my way with 10 days of 1500mg per day Amoxycillin and diagnosed me with Acute Sinusitis. By this time I was convinced I have HIV. So at week 5 post-exposure I went and had another HIV test (oral swab). A week later I got my results (Negative). Two days later my appointment with my PCP came around. I told her my entire story and she looked into my throat and said I definitely had something going on. I told her I was having continuous mucus in my stool with a foul odor, swelling in throat (but no sore throat), bumps on my tongue, and a frequent urge to urinate but feeling as if I still had to go. She ordered a bunch of tests including an hiv test, stool test, and urine test. I found out that day that I didn't have a bladder infection, but I would have to wait two weeks for my results. I have about a week and a half before I get results from these tests and I am full of anxiety. I can't stay off the Internet diagnosing myself. My glands in my throat are still swollen but not tender. Even after the 10 day course of antibiotics. I noticed yesterday I have what looks to be an open sore on the side of my tongue and the texture of the soft tissue in my mouth has changed (it feels rough). My testicles still have a dull pain and when I lay down to sleep now I get pain in my groin that is so bad I can't sleep without pain medication. The lymph nodes there don't feel swollen. I woke up this morning with smelly diarrhea. My nerves are shot because all of these Doctors pretty much make it seem as if these symptoms are all in my head. I was a very health person before this. I had a conclusive negative hiv test before this drama so I'm sure I was hiv negative before this happened. PLEASE help me. Is this HIV, HERPES, SYPHILLIS, STAPH?
COMMUNITY LEADER
First, all HIV questions belong in the HIV prevention forum, so any follow up questions to that part need to be int hat forum.

You had protected anal, so I would be surprised if you got anything.  I would wonder if the enemas you are using are causing problems.  I know its somewhat common for men to do this before a sexual encounter, but they can cause problems with having regular bowel movements.  I'd wonder if they have thrown off your regular movements, so my first suggestion would be to stop doing that.  I'd also wonder about your diet, and if you are getting enough fiber.

You also wouldn't have any HIV symptoms this fast, and nothing you are saying is ringing any HIV bells for me, and you also used a condom.  HIV is not transmitted vial oral contact, including rimming.  

All of your tests are negative, and while I don't think this is an std, your doctor said he tested you for everything "major that could kill you".  While its important to know that, its also important to test for things like gonorrhea, chlamydia, and herpes, and it doesn't sound as if you were tested for those.  Again, I don't think those would cause these symptoms, but its always a good idea to know your status for those, and they are far more common than HIV.

You also are on pain meds, and those can cause constipation.  Since it hurts more in certain positions, I'd wonder about prostate, a pinched nerve, even a hernia.

Before changing your diet, talk to your doctor and ask if its a good idea to introduce fiber at this point - your bowel and colon might be too irritated right now.  You might also ask about a probiotic to help replace the good bacteria that you have probably lost with the diarrhea, and that might help things get back to normal.

If you are going to continue with the enemas, then you should be on a probiotic, but talk to your doctor about this.

The throat stuff sounds typical of what happens with a sinus infection, and I wouldn't be overly worried about that, except I know they make you feel just lousy.

And just a note - its much easier to read your posts if you insert some paragraphs in there.

Aj

Please forgive me for the misleading thread title. Thanks for your reply. I ONLY use an enema before anal sex to (keep things clean). I don't have sex often the last time was four months prior to this encounter. That was the last enema I had up until now. The anal sex was "protected" in the sense that he was wearing a condom, but since I wasn't I can't say if it slipped off or what. My urine test in the hospital tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea which came back negative. Also the CT Scan and Ultrasound ruled out hernia. I always hear the hiv (ars) symptoms almost always involve fever and I haven't had one or chill or a major headache. I am waiting on the results of my blood test to determine hiv, syphilis, herpes, and hepatitis. The stress that comes along with this uncertainty can drive one insane! Keep in mind I am now two days shy of 7 weeks "post-exposure". I am aware a 5 week hiv test is hopeful, yet far from conclusive. This is why I'm so scared and shook.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Actually, its not that far from conclusive.  At 5 weeks, the test would be about 90-95% accurate.

There aren't any stds that would give you these symptoms, and I'd encourage you to follow up with a gastroenterologist and/or a urologist for a more thorough work up.

Aj
The soft tissue in my throat feels really strange. I have no pain, but swollen lymph nodes under my chin. I have a painless sore on the side of my tongue. My large circumvallate papillae are very swollen. Looking down my throat with a flashlight there are multiple sores all the way down my tongue and down into my throat. This groin pain won't cease either. No fever. No chills. No rash. My groin is killing me on both sides and pain medication is not working!
COMMUNITY LEADER
You need to follow up with your doctor today.  No std would cause all these symptoms, and you need to find out what it is.

Aj
I have an appointment on Dec 5th and this is the quickest I can get in. The ER is useless they tell me it looks strange, write me a 'script for Vicodin for groin pain and send me on my way. I never thought a day would come I would be praying for syphillis over hiv.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Dec 5th?  That's way too long.

Is there an urgent care center near you?

And neither syphilis or HIV would be causing these symptoms.

Aj
I went to a walk-in medical center yesterday for groin discomfort (now mostly occurs when standing for long periods of time or while sleeping) and for my throat/ and newly developed ear inner discomfort. The physician looked into my throat and said everything looked fine except for some lymphatic swelling and drainage down my throat. Said there are slightly swollen lymph nodes unders my chin. When he looked into my ears he said they were red and had some fluid in them. I told him I had been on antibiotics prior to this. He prescribed another 10-day course of antibiotics and sudafed tablets. My throat alternates from feeling lots of pressure some days to feeling swollen. My inner earths both itch terribly and I now have a headache I can't seem to shake. As for my groin discomfort he said my best bet was to wait on my test results on Dec 5th to rule out an STD. My concer is that if this is Syphillis or Herpes will my antibiotic use effect the results and was 6 weeks to soon for it to show up? It is now almost 8 weeks "post exposure". I get my 7 week HIV results on Monday. I have now been sick for two months only slightly getting better. My throat symptoms didn't start until 3 weeks back. I have now notices an open sore on the side of my tongue. I used a flashlight to inspect it and it is pink with white edges and is tender to touch. I'm so scared. I don't feel this is acute sinusitis or an ear infection because there is no pain, or pressure in the sinuses, I breathe just fine, and I am not blowing my nose. However I can't seem to shake this horrible post-nasal drip. Could that be the sole cause for my throat problems? With the addition of this sore I have all but accepted that this could be something serious. I was diagnosed with Anal warts 6 months ago and always suspected they were in my mouth also. I decided against taking medicine and used vitamins and a healthy lifestyle to all but eliminate the majority of the warts (except two or three). My ear discomfort and mouth problems seem to be worse on the right side. Any advice/comments are much appreciated. My doctors don't seem to take my risk seriously. HELP!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, post nasal drip is a very common cause of sore throats.  

Oral warts are very uncommon, and not usually found in otherwise healthy people.  You know that at least until 8 weeks ago, you did not have HIV, and therefore, I'd seriously doubt you had oral warts.

I also think you need to stop HIV testing, at least until the 3 month mark.  Then test, and be done with it.  Testing every couple of weeks is just contributing to your anxiety, and there is absolutely no need to test this often.

And remember - you had protected anal sex.  That will protect you from HIV, and there is NO RISK for HIV and oral.

This is getting out of hand.  I understand your fears, and that you clearly are symptomatic of something, but you just found out what it is, and are taking antibiotics.  Those antibiotics, by the way, will not affect a syphilis or HIV test.  

Aj
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh and I also find it deplorable that this doctor didn't test you for syphilis.  Not only does 1 more week not matter for syphilis, it would have saved some health care costs and saved you a doctor's visit.

Ugh - sorry.  Just my rant on part of what is wrong with our health care system.

Aj
Thank you for your replies. I really do appreciate your patience with me. I am aware I am a nervous wreck and I have been downing Chamomile & Green tea trying to calm down. And yes I am absolutely 100 percent sure I was conclusively HIV NEGATIVE prior to October 3rd. The thing is my throat is NOT sore (and no swollen tonsils) it just feels awkward all the time. How can I explain it.. you know how you cry very hard and long...how you feel that lump and pressure in your throat? Imagine this 24/7 in your throat and ears.

Although I was told there is an outbreak of Syphillis in my city this year I was still DENIED testing at our local health department because they only test when there are visible symptoms. I just may have to drive 45 minutes to the next city and get tested there. Honestly once the "help" at the health department found out I'd slept with another man they had a "you deserve whatever you get" attitude (very rude). Its been so frustrating getting help of any kind. I have been on 5 day Azithromycin (I found out I'm allergic so I stopped 1 day early). Now I am on a 10 day dose of Amoxycillin for the 2nd time.

There are small bumps I can only feel (they don't seem to be visible) on my soft palate and I sometimes get blood blisters in my mouth that burst and now on my tongue open ulcers are forming on the right side and they THROB or twitch now and then. Tomorrow or the next day my 7 week results will be in and if it is still negative I will not test again until January 3rd.  Meanwhile my PCP will have the results to my stool test, blood tests, and urine tests on Friday of this week.  Keep me in your prayers. God bless you for trying to give me peace of mind through all of this.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I have allergies and know well the feeling you are describing.  Its highly annoying, and no matter what you do - clear your throat, cough, etc - it doesn't go away.

I don't know what city you are in, but I've never heard of a clinic testing for syphilis only when you have symptoms.  Its kind of no wonder they are having an outbreak then - they are missing those that are infected who aren't noticing symptoms.

Again, that makes it more frustrating that this doctor didn't do a syphilis test on you.

Your appt on Dec 5 - what is that for?  Can you get tested then?

Aj
I'm asthmatic so I have dealt with allergies since I was a child. This IS NOT allergies. No stuffy nose, no pressure in my head/sinuses, no headache, no sore throat, no itchy eyes. When I first got the throat symptoms my soft palate got really smooth and felt strange. Soon after little raised bumps appeared and my esophagus felt like someone had me in a chokehold (this feeling comes and goes). Now I have bumps in the back of my throat (flesh colored) surrounded by white areas. The doctor from the walk-in med center said it was from the nasal drip. There are bumps on the side of my tongue that were there before this happened and I had assumed they were HPV (I noticed them after I was informed I had it 6 months ago but never really paid attention before), but the doctor told me the other day it was my taste buds. The texture inside my mouth (soft tissue) has also changed. It feels rough and bumpy all over, but I can't see any raised bumps.

My appointment with my PCP is to receive my test results and for her to diagnose me or refer me to an ENT and or a GI physician (mucus stool/constipation still persists). My PCP gave me a stool culture, std check (hiv too), and urine sample. I asked her to test for everything, but I didn't specifically mention Syphilis at that time. There was so much I was trying to tell her to diagnose me I left some of the most important stuff out (ouch). She was persistent about testing my blood for HIV (once I explained my "situation") although I had told her I received 5 week test results two days prior  that said NEGATIVE still.

I'm in the Midwest 2 hrs outside of "Motown". I was also shocked I went to our health department and explained I needed to be tested (3 week "post exposure"). The refused to test me for HIV saying that a 3 week test would only be 50% reliable (I  believe useless was her exact word). Since I had no syphillis symptoms she refused to test me for that also. The only thing she did for me was give me a throat swab for Gonorrhea. Which was "useless" by that time because I had been on Azithromycin a week before that and it would have wiped it out if that was my problem. I found two HIV testing places about 3-4 miles outside of town that I've been tested at. 3 week test at one facility and 5 week test at the other. The 3 week facility told me to come back in 4 more weeks (they were very nice) and so I did. So those are the results I get tomorrow or the next day (7 weeks). They will be more current than the HIV test from my PCP (6 weeks) because with my PCP I have to wait 2 weeks for results and only 5 days at the other place.  I will be happy when I can take a conclusive test and reduce my stress level as it has caused me to have high blood pressure.
COMMUNITY LEADER
So you don't know if you got tested for syphilis, or you did, and you'll get those results on the 5th?

No std test is useless - well, ok, some are, but a baseline test is never a bad idea.  

I see no need for you to test for HIV, though.  You only had unprotected oral, and oral is not a risk for HIV.  Here is a study (can't remember if I gave it to you before) - http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/2AF5DF5C-ECEF-4854-80BA-09F86B483A02.asp - you'll have to copy and paste it.

Aj
7 weeks -- HIV Negative. Got the results today.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Congrats!
*UPDATE

I went to my Dr's appointment on December the 5th. All bloodwork was "superb" as my doctor described it (std negative and hiv negative), but my stool (ova and parasite) tests showed I have a large amount of yeast and protozoa. I was prescribed fluconazole and metronidazole. I just finished my 10-day doses and I do feel a lot better. The groin pain is no more (thank the lord above). My throat still feels as if I swallowed something and its stuck. My next appointment is January 7th and I was told if I still had this problem she would send me to an ENT. I still have a slight burning feeling in my stomach right before a bowel movement, but other than that things are getting better.  For those of you who were like myself and convinced you have HIV stop diagnosing yourself. It will drive you crazy! I'm not quite 100 percent back to myself, but I'm 85 percent there. Thanks for the support Medhelp!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh congrats!

Have you tried taking an over the counter allergy pill?  That might help with the post nasal drip, and can hold you over till your next appt, and it will help determine if you have allergies, or something else going on.

Make sure that its ok to take them, and follow the instructions on the package.

Glad you are feeling better,
Aj
Actually I did think about taking some allergy medicine, but I've been so medicated these past couple of months I just want to see how I will cope for a couple weeks with no medicine. I'm done with my round of antibiotics so I'm going drug free until my next appointment. My swollen glands have gone down and my pain is gone for now (testicle pain, and abdomin pain). I do have some ear pain, sinuses are still a mess, and my stomach continues to slightly burn. I feel asleep with wet hair (from shower) and woke up plugged up a few nights ago. I blew my nose for what seemed like two hours and there was very thick white mucus. I'm praying things will continue to go in the right direction because I am slowly feeling better. January 7th I will take a conclusive hiv test (just to be 100%) and see about getting sent to an ENT. My throat still feels very strange. Should I test for Syphillis again? I got tested for it at 6 weeks (is that too soon for a Syphillis blood test?). Anyhow thanks for letting me vent on here. I probably would've checked out a long time ago if it weren't for this place. I am also having tongue tremors. I am still very scared, but I'm determined to get better. One day at a time I will take it.
COMMUNITY LEADER
6 weeks is fine for syphilis.  

Tongue tremors aren't associated with any std, and I don't know if its associated with allergies.  Your doctor could better determine that.

I understand wanting to be med free, but you could save yourself a lot of mental anguish if you even tried them for a day or two and see if it helps.

Aj
They are very slight, but I can feel them when I move my tongue about. I'm really concerned about the possibility of cancer now. I have had HPV (which I caught from unprotected oral sex, but I got warts anally) for 6 months and my grandfather passed away from throat cancer two months ago! Also I do not smoke or drink (never have). I know my body very well and I know something is completely wrong here. I can only pray things will get better.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Its very unlikely that you got warts from oral sex.  The strains of HPV that cause genital warts are almost never found orally.  You can get anal warts without ever having had anal sex.

I'm sure you are afraid, and I know your grandfather had throat cancer, but that's actually pretty rare.  In the US, there are only about 40,000 cases of oral cancers each year.

If you think something is really wrong, you need to call your doctor and get your appt moved up.  

Aj
My stomach infection seems to be getting better.. no constipation (still loose stools but I'm happy to just be going to the bathroom). My ear and throat is what I'm worried about. Its all on my right side it seems and it feels like that fluid is back in my ear. I sneeze all throughout the day. Can't even cook with pepper anymore. My tongue is really coated, but I chalked that up to just getting off all those antibiotics.  I'm not in any PAIN, but there is pressure in my ear and throat. Like someone is choking me. My sinuses aren't the best but I can't see how I can have a sinusitis for three months?
COMMUNITY LEADER
You need to follow up with your doctor, and to get the best info on sinusitis, either post in allergies or ear, nose and throat.  Its not my area of expertise.

I am glad the rest is getting better, though.

Aj
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.