High risk HPV

I was recently DX with high risk HPV. I have minor cell changes so dr advised we watch and wait and he said it  will likely clear on its own.
My concern is how long I have had this and not known?
Or if my husband has had it all along?
If a person is infected, does the virus become active (contagious) immediately and then your immune system will make it dormant in 6 months to 2 years?
Or you are infected and immediately your immune system suppresses it into dormancy and you are not likely to be contagious but still carry the virus?
If you have multiple strains of HPV are they all likely to be active at the same time? Or do they act on there own?
i had a normal clear pap exactly one year from my abnormal one, could I have had an active infection then but it wasn't detected ( I'm 36)?
Or it has been recently just re-activated?
COMMUNITY LEADER
HI, yes with minor cell changes your doctor is correct in a watch an wait. Theres no way to know how long youve had it or how you got it but its very common for both husband and wife to have hpv and its likely to clear up on its own. Dont worry and just take your next pap test. You can go to the below web site for helpful information.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/pap/default.htm#table2
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, you can go to the above web site for helpful information. Your doctor is correct in watch and wait and theres no way to know how or how long youve had this but its quite common and can clear up on its own so dont worry.

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.