STDs / STIs Community

How high the risk of STDs and HIV

I had unprotected oral sex on the 14th of December with a sex worker and supposedly protected vaginal sex. I had a bit too much to drink so I don't know if the condom came off or was broken. I also discovered that I had an abrasion or small scratch at my scrotum. Since then I have been having anxiety attacks and not being able to sleep, eat or function properly. These are the sypmtoms I have been having over the last 2 weeks : pain in the penis shaft and tip occassionally more so in the first one and a half weeks, sensitive penis tip, when penis pain happens specific thigh area also hurts, area beneath the left rib cage was painful and tender for a while but that has gone off, painful back and around the kidney area. No discharge until this morning. I noticed a small drop of cloudy watery droplet at the tip of my penis after I cleared my bowels. Anxiety heightened and pains in penis resumed. I will be seeing the doctor on Monday.

Please help with your comments.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Since you don't know if the condom came off or not, I can't really give you a good risk assessment.  The smart thing is to test, and you are doing that.  

Make sure to tell your doctor all your symptoms - an std wouldn't cause all of them, specifically the pain by the rib cage.

Aj
Thanks for your comments.

I was hopeful that since I had not experienced any pain while urinating and no discharge(until this morning, the 13th day), I may have improved my chance.

I have been looking at my penis at least 10 times a day and pulling the foreskin and tip back and that may have irritated it, I hope.

What about the risk on the abrasion on the scrotum?

How significant is the discharge I just described ? How often should the discharge happen ? I have been looking for the last 2 weeks but nothing until this morning, by chance. If I do not find discharge tomorrow, does that mean anything?

I remember that there was a cooling sensation at one point to my penis tip during intercourse, does it mean condom was broken?

Checked myself this morning before I urinated. Confirmed there was a white watery discharge just before my pee came out, what is this likely to be gonorrhea, chlymedia, ngu ? Through this I am trying to guess the probability of protected or unprotected vaginal sex.
COMMUNITY LEADER
If you don't remember, you won't ever remember, and you can't really piece it together based on symptoms.

It could be any of those, or none of those.  You just really need to see a doctor.  Speculation isn't going to help anything, except make you more anxious.

Stop pulling on your foreskin - that alone might be causing at least some of your symptoms.  Just leave things be and get checked on Monday.

Aj
I have a wife and 3 kids. What must I do to avoid infecting them in anyway? As I was anxious I did not have sex with my wife for the last 2 weeks. I have also been avoiding close contact with my children and sharing food with them. If my wife knows, I will lose my perfectly happy family for one night of indescretion.
COMMUNITY LEADER
You won't pass anything to your kids if you aren't having inappropriate contact with them.  It is cold and flu season though, so not sharing food, etc., is always a good idea.  You can give them hugs and kisses as normal - don't let them suffer because you made a foolish mistake.

I don't know what to tell you about your wife - you know her, I don't.  I think you need to get tested, but the discharge with a bowel movement sounds like prostatitis to me.  Prostatitis can be caused by an std, and it can just happen naturally.

I wish I had some solid answers for you, but that's impossible.  You just need to see your doctor.

Aj

I have been reading the internet like crazy about risk to family members but not gotten very much help there. Read somewhere gonorrhea can be transmitted by clothings and utensils and generally close contacts, syphillis is highly contagious even to family members. I am freaking out here but kept very internalised. Is it true about the ease of transmission ?
COMMUNITY LEADER
No, that's not true at all.

The only sites you should visit, besides this one of course, is www.ashastd.org, and www.cdc.gov

I don't know where you read that, but that's dangerous stuff to be putting out there.

Aj
Not even things like toilet seat, towels, holding hands hugging, sharing bed, sleeping together and hugging?? I don't know how much more of this I can take??

according to ashastd, it says that even if penis does not enter the vagina can still get infected??

To date I dont think and hope that my wife and kids were not at risk. If I test positive, should I tell my wife? I can choose not to have sex with her and therefore not pass it on to her so that she does not have to know. Please give me your personal view.
I am now thinking of the worst possible outcome : HIV, dont know how long more I can take this.
The websites which states the easy transmission are yardflex.com, wrongdiagnosis.com, narcofreedom.com and another wesbite which now i cant find.
I think what you are doing is great as it provides some outlet for us stupid people. Thanks.
sounds like you are letting the guilt of all this do a number on you.  I totally 2nd what jess said - stop looking at your penis so often - once daily in the shower and no more often.  You are already planning on following up on this monday with std testing. Meanwhile there is absolutely no risk to your wife if you aren't having sexual relations with her since you had sex with the sex worker . Same with your kids - absolutely no risk - not from toilet seats, hugging or anything else you mentioned.  they don't call them sexually transmitted diseases for nothing.   Everyone in a household should have their own towels, washcloths, toothbrushes and razors - because very common germs are easily transmitted thru sharing them so it just shouldn't be done.  

grace
Thanks very much for your input.

Came across a BBC website that seems to describe almost exactly what I have experienced this morning and yesterday morning particularly, the white milky watery discharge before I urinate first thing in the morning. Seems like what I have is NGU. It also reiterated what you people have been saying about mode of transmission, you can't catch stds/stis from hugging and so on.

I am hoping that it is only NGU and nothing more. If it is only NGU and no gonorrhea, does that reduce my chance of syphillis, hiv and other stis even though any test done tomorrow will only be at 2 weeks of post exposure.
Just read from ashastd that NGU mostly caused by chlamydia which is usually through vaginal intercoure. That means that my condom may have broken and may have been exposed to HIV. For NGU, it is probably difficult to pinpoint the exact bacterial(s) causing infection which means there is some trial and error needed. This may mean that it may be some time before the right antibiotics is used to completely remove the infection. Am I right?
COMMUNITY LEADER
NGU can also be caused by normal mouth germs, and I'd say 95% of the time, NGU is not difficult to cure.

I hope you get up first thing tomorrow and get in to see your doctor.   You might also talk to him/her about getting some therapy to help with this.  I understand you are scared, and you have a lot to lose, but clearly you need to explore why you would do something like this when you do have so much to lose, and explore why you have pure panic and anxiety as a reaction.

I say that with kindness, not criticism.

Aj

Thanks again for your input.

But mouth germs would not give me pain in the testicle would it? And what sort of normal mouth germs would that be?

Don't know why I did it. Just plain stupidity.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Oh it could give you pain in your testicles.

Did you read the asha site I gave you?

Aj
I did and quite a few times as well....dont think it said anything about normal mouth germs unless you were referring to gonorrhea, HPV, HSV...may i know what normal mouth germs you were referring to?
Even if it is normal mouth germs, what does it mean? It is not the conventional STI and therefore is even easier to treat or maybe more difficult to identify?? Can it be transmiited to my sex partner? Let's see what happens ? How long would it normally take for urine test results to come back?
COMMUNITY LEADER
We all have bacteria in our mouths, and sometimes those bacteria - and I don't know the names of them - can enter the urethra and cause an infection.

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/guide/20061101/oral-sex-may-spread-common-std

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/500537

It could be transmitted to your partner.  

How long your results take depends entirely on the doc and the lab, and how they communicate.  Some labs and doctors share a computer system, so the doctor can access the records as soon as the test is done.  Others email the results, others still fax or mail.

Aj
Thanks so much for your time and input.

Doctor wants to take the first urine sample and has asked me to go back tomorrow morning. He will be doing a culture test and swap test(using microscope). In the meantime, he will treat me with antibiotics. The culture test will take about a week. What is the swap test for? He said he can give me immediate result but it can't tell what the germs are?

I had another episode during lunch where I kept thinking that I could be HIV positive if I get tested for Chlamydia. Man I dont know how I can survive the next couple weeks for conclusive HIV test. My limbs were aching(not imaginary), feeling feverish, whole body and limbs felt hot and itchy like a rash was acting up and feeling spaced out. But all this could be due to not having slept more than 2 hours everyday.

I dont know what to do???
Thank you very much for your help in linking those articles for me to read.

I am under control again. Just need to get pass this couple of weeks and see how it goes.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.