Is my future partner telling the truth

I'm a 23 year old virgin male that has been dating a girl seriously for about a year. We are talking seriously about marriage and I think that things are definantly headed in that direction. In order to protect myself against STDs; I asked about her sexual background. At first, there was a lot of hesitation to answer the question. However, I was paticient and she could tell that this was important for me to know. She finally gave me an answer.  She said that she was a virgin, even though her hymen may not still be there. She said her hymen is no longer there because she is very active and rides mountian bikes, uses tampons and therfore it is not there.  Can this be true?  I know she had a wild spell in college. Do I need to dig deeper? Something doesn't feel/sound right.  I need your medical opinion if a hymen can be torn by being active and riding bikes.
Yes a hymen can be damaged via physical activity. This is a trust issue with you and her. Why not just make a pact between each other to get STD tests if that is what you are concerned about?
Also it sounds like you are very serious about this woman so you have to make an enviroment that is safe for her to talk about things. You should not try to force things out of her and just make her feel comfortable.

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.