Is syphilis test conclusive?

Doc,
I had a low risk exposure with a male..After 3 years I had a doubt about STD's and wanted to check out for syphilis and did VDRL-negative and again after a month wasn't convinced with that and did a TPHA- negative and again after 5 months did another TPHA- negative and Syphilis EIA Antibody test- negative (I live in India so I'm not sure what EIA is used as there are lots of commercially available EIAs)...Then after 15 days I asked my partner too to have that test taken to ensure I didn't get it from him and he was my only partner...he did a TPHA - negative ...For your information I'm unaware I had any chancre in my mouth at the time of exposure
Now my questions are,
1. Am I 100% free of syphilis? If not then what percentage would you give in a scale of 100?
2. I have heard in later stages sensitivity of treponema test ranges only 97% based on various studies.. is it true?
3. If in case my results were false negative, would the reason be because of inability of the test or did I have very low level of antibodies to be detected in tests?
4. If my antibodies were low then wouldn't I be in late stage suffering from something serious?
thanks in advance
Let's make this easy shall we ? Syphillis testing is conclusive after six weeks . Years and many tests later all negative . I wouldn't worry one more second about this.
Thanks, your answer eases bit but why does the sensitivity reduces for treponemal test years later from 100 to 97%
The answer still the same. This particular test simply will confirm you were exposed to  t pallidum. Not that you have it. Similar to HSV tests that show exposure but not infection. You tested negative several times. It is time to let this fear go.

Randall

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.