STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Molluscum Spreading

Hi Doc,

I was recently diagnosed with molluscum contagiousum after numerous misdiagnoses that cost me about a month of treatment and allowed for substantial autoinnoculation (yes, I'm one of the unlucky masses who originally thought this was simply a pimple-ish thing I could shave and it would scab, obviously it didn't). I'm now in month four.

A few weeks ago I went to the dermatologist, who this time determined that I did, indeed, have MC. I had about 50 lesions and was treated (with cryotherapy) for about 30 of them (derm said that this would determine whether my immune system might take over and do some of the work in ridding my body of this nonsense).

I'm reasonably careful with them - lightly cleaning them in the shower, applying hydrogen peroxide to the lesions before bed to clean (though this causes some inflammation), and powdering to keep dry. My questions:

1. Since the virus has had substantial opportunity to spread before treatment, should I expect things to get worse before they get better; that is, expect more new papules before the cryotherapy begins to take, and reduce the count?

2. Should I insist that my derm treat ALL of the lesions in our next session? I'm terrified that not treating just gives it more of an opportunity to spread.

3. Should I be self-treating at all (with hydrogen peroxide or any other method), or leaving this in the hands of my doctor?

Thanks!
I wouldn't continue the peroxide.  It's non-chlorine bleach and can damage skin hence why we no.longer recommend its use routinely.

If your lesions are still spreading your next visit, the dermatologist will remove more.  Sometimes even a topical cream like aldara will be recommended too.  All of this might take months until the mc is gone and stays gone unfortunately.

Grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.