STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Molluscum Treatment

I have been diagnosed with molluscum and am going in for treatment this week.  I have a large amount of very small bumps, roughly the size of the head of a ballpoint pen.  I believe that I contracted it from a girl I have been seeing recently, but she does not have any clear signs of it.  Otherwise, I am not aware how I could have contracted it.  Oh well, I am receiving treatment this week and the Doctor has recommended electrocautery.  I am wondering if you  have any thoughts about this treatment vis-a-vis other treatments.  My bumps are so small I was wondering if Imiquimod might be a better option.

Thank you
Imiquimod is a good option, but it has different side effects.   It usually results in some pretty bad redness/peeling of the genital skin.  The upside is, it usually doesn't scar.  But you do have to apply it more than once, and often the electrocautery will work in one go.

So it's really up to you.  If it were me, I'd probably try the Imiquimod first.
thanks for the advice.  i will talk to my dermatologist, but I will probably recommend a blended approach, although I will obviously defer to his judgment.  Thanks.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.