STDs / STIs Community

Molluscum cured ?

I developed genital molluscum years ago, and well since then I have had no lesions. I used Aldara cream for 2 weeks, and that is what cleared it up. Am I still infectious ? Am I in the clear now ?

Give it another month or two and if you haven't had a return of symptoms then it's probably gone :)

grace
Ahh I so hope that it's gone forever, all has been good so far. I have a good feeling that I've rid myself of it. I have another question actually. I read that people that are HIV positive cannot be cured of molluscum in almost all cases, and when they catch molluscum it is much more severe. Since mine cleared up so quickly, and was pretty mild, that kind of counts me out of having HIV I'm guessing ? I have'nt shared/used needles, or been in contact with anyones blood. I have had several girlfriends, and have had mostly protected sex. I had this realization that the molluscum clearing up and being so mild must mean I'm HIV negative, I hope that realization is accurate. :)

-Matt-
Trying to tie you clearing molluscum to being HIV negative is just not correct.  If you need evidence that you are HIV negative, you need a blood test > 6 weeks after your last exposure.
I looked around on the internet, and could not find specific enough information on the transmission of molluscum. From what I know, it is only spread by contact with the lesions or contact with towels/clothing that have touched the lesions. If there have been no lesions for years, I should not be contagious right ?
I wouldn't be too concerned about being contagious at this point.

If you want to know if you have hiv - go get tested.  It's better than guessing.

grace
You can't use your mild case of molluscum as an excuse not to get a real HIV test.  It can take years before HIV noticeably compromises your immune system.  From your history it sounds like you have no reason to be concerned, but you won't know for sure unless you get a blood test 6 weeks after your last unprotected sexual encounter.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.