STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Molluscum keeps spreading even after freezing

Hi there, (I was hoping to submit this to a doctor but apparently the expert forums are closed... thank you to anyone with experience that can help!)

I contracted molluscum on my genitals and penis about two months ago. I'm a healthy 27 year old male. It started as one lesion on my public area, and through whatever I did early on, the infection has since spread rapidly.

Since diagnosed I've been getting bi-weekly cryotherapy treatments, five so far. I've probably had about 30 lesions frozen, but keep spotting new ones coming up... and of course of the ones I have had treated, some are returning. I just counted at least another 10-15, and probably more that are in very early stages.

I try to be as careful as I can be with keeping the area dry (I work out regularly), clean, and un-molested by my hands.

This is obviously very upsetting and with the internet teeming with conflicting courses of action, horror stories ("I've had molluscum for two years..."), and alternative treatment options, mentally it is becoming extremely taxing.

Is this severity of molluscum common? And considering I have so many lesions and the cryotherapy hasn't been successful so far - in fact, I'm suspicious it's making things worse - should I be continuing with treatment or trying something else? The medical community seems to dismiss apple cidar vinegar immediately, but I've read a lot of (seemingly) legit success stories.

Obviously I'm concerned about scarring and permanent hyper-pigmentation with the repeated cryotherapy treatments. How long should I keep doing this?

Thank you for your input.

PS. I've tested negative for other STDs.
vinegar is an acid. the skin on your genitals is very delicate. It's really not the best bet to try at this point. You do not want your genital area a more irritated mess than it already is :(

is it common for it to spread like this? Yes and no. You are still really early into the infection and your body hasn't gotten a handle on the virus yet.

are you seeing a dermatologist?
Hi Grace, thanks for the reply.

I've seen my GP, who gave me the usual 'don't worry about it, it'll go away' and treated me once more with cryotherapy. She offered to book me with a derm which I'm waiting to hear back on. I've also been to my local sexual health clinic who have given me cryotherapy three times. All three times I've gotten conflicting information but again the message was 'eventually it'll go away.'

To be honest, I get the impression the medical community doesn't know much about this (understandably they deal with bigger issues), which of course makes my anxiety skyrocket. Trust me, I'm thinking of my sensitive genital skin! Which is why I'm apprehensive about committing to god knows how many more cryotherapy sessions.

Thanks again
On close examination this evening it looks like some of the lesions (new ones that have not been treated) may have turned a deeper red and the head/white core appears to be somewhat dried out. Could this signal an immune response... and eventual resolution? I might just be going crazy and my eyes are just seeing what they want to see.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.