STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Molluscum relapse

Hi Doctor,

I was diagnosed with molluscum approximately 8 months ago, confined to my genital region.  I was treated by a dermatologist who removed the lesions and prescribed aldara.  By around 5 months ago I was symptom free.  Recently I seem to have had a relapse only now the lesions cover a much larger percentage of my body. (Perhaps coincidentally, the relapse seemed to have started the exact same time I had a particularly nasty bout of food poisoning, could these be related?)  

Is it normal for molluscum to reoccur after such a long period of being asymptomatic and can I expect this pattern to repeat?  Is it possible this is really something else?  Also, am I contagious during these long periods when I have no symptoms?

Thanks!
COMMUNITY LEADER
It could be something else, but your doctor would be better able to tell you that since he can examine you.

Since the virus can be in your body for awhile, it wouldn't be shocking if you had a relapse, but since you were just so sick, I'd check with your doctor to make sure its not something else.

Aj
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.