STDs / STIs Community

NGU confusion

I was just hoping somebody could clarify what NGU exactly is - I have done some reading about it, but still am confused.  What causes it and how is it diagnosed?  I mostly read about examples of NGU in men...what about women?  Any help here would be appreciated :)
Thanks,
Em
COMMUNITY LEADER
Women don't get NGU.  Its simply a bacterial infection in the urethra, and it can be caused by a bunch of different bacteria.  NGU means non-gonoccoal urethritis, but a better name is non-specific urethritis, because many times, the cause is not determined.

A very common way to get it is through oral sex.  Normal mouth bacteria can get into the urethra and cause an infection there.

Here is a good link about it - http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_ngu.cfm

AJ
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.