STDs / STIs Community

Neurosyphilis Treatment

I had a fever on Thanksgiving and a couple of days later developed a rash.  I went to an urgent care center and was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea.  I questioned the diagnosis and saw a dermatologist two weeks later who also stated it was pityriasis rosea.  It spread to my scalp so I again questioned it and went to my primary care provider who found nothing wrong.  On 12/27 after spending hours googling and looking up symptoms I went to an STD clinic and was diagnosed with Syphilis on 1/3 and had shots the same day to treat it.  They asked me if I was having any other symptoms.  I stated that I just started wearing glasses earlier in the year and haven't been wearing them and felt I should and that I was having occasional "ocean sounds" in my right year.  They didn't think that I should be concerned about Neurosyphilis, but because of the hearing they allowed me to have a lumbar puncture as part of a study.  I had the spinal tap on 1/9 and got the call the same night that I did show elevated levels and appeared to have Neurosyphilis.  Which actually surprised me as I'm pretty sure that my syphilis could have only been in me for 6-9 months and from my understanding you typically only get Neurosyphilis after having syphilis for a long time.   I began having penicillin shots on 1/10 as well as taking probenecid 4 x a day.  I'm half way through treatment.  Because I had three providers "miss" I'm super paranoid on my treatment.  My questions are as follows:

1.  Since starting treatment the sounds in the ears have improved, but I'm still extremely tired and feel that I can't concentrate as well.  I've also felt as though my glands under my right side jaw are sore or a little swollen.  Is this a possible side effect of the treatment, the syphilis or something else?

2.  I understand that any hearing loss may be permanent, but at what point in my injections can I expect to feel better or will it take even longer?

3.  I can't find anything on how successful this type of treatment is for Neurosyphilis.  I will be going back every three months after treatment, but I'm curious on the success rate of the treatment.  Should I be concerned that this treatment may not work?

4.  I was tested for HIV at the same time as syphilis and that came back negative.  There would have been no chance of being infected for at least 8 weeks prior to the hiv test done at the same time, but I see a connection with syphilis and hiv.    Is it possible that I could be hiv + and that the syphilis caused a neg?

I know I'm sounding paranoid, but I'm just not finding much online and I haven't found a new doctor yet that I feel comfortable asking.  I'm currently having the injections thanks to the local std clinic which are nurses and not specialist.  They have been great, but just concerned.  Thanks
I encourage you to pay to post on the std experts forum for help. be sure to list your syphilis test results too when you post to them.

grace
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.