STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Paranoid About Gram Positive Cocci in Urethral Swab... Please help me :(

Good day! I am 29 yrs old Filipino. I am bi but since 2008, I've had no sexual activity since I am busy in school and work. Also, I am aware of STDs since I had in 2007 and when I was treated, it became a lesson to me and decided to just abstain.

Last July 10, 2011, I was drunk and had sex with a 22 yr. old bottom guy I don't know much. He did oral to me and I had penetrated sex with him but I wear condom and I believe that I know how to use it right.

After a week, I felt something weird during urination like I always wanted to pee and the tip of my penis had a little pain occasionally but tolerable. I had no discharge. And I started to become paranoid thinking that I might have gonorrhea. So, last July 23, I went to VD/STD Clinic and had urinalysis and urethral swab. My urinalysis only reflected that I had 0.3+ protein but no puss while my gram stain resulted that I had gram positive cocci (I think it's in singles as far as I remember) and as for wbc, there's a note like this ---> wbc (?). The doctor told me that its an early gonorrhea and subsequently I had injected with ceftriaxone, doxycycline and norfloxacin and took 2 capsules everyday. After a week, I came back to recheck it, and everything is clear. No organisms in gram stain and had traces only in protein. I believe I am OK now.

But I am quite curious whether it is really early gonorrhea or just UTI. As I browsed the net and read some articles, I have learned that gonorrhea is not gram positive cocci, it is gram negative. Prior to my sexual contact, I experienced a little similar to that like a little difficulty in urinating because I don't drink much water and I took a lot of supplements in the gym like creatine wherein I only learned lately that it can affect your kidneys or can cause UTI. Plus, the VD/STD Clinic has an image that they always want money from their patients or something.

I know that its not that big deal because I am Ok now but I am just curious about the real answer. As I have learned, if it is gonorrhea, I also have to test for HIV because gonorrhea and HIV are associated? It is according to the VD/STD Clinic. Is 3 months HIV testing conclusive? or 6 months? I wish it is not gonorrhea.

I wish professional doctors would help me. I want to be enlightened and have peace of mind. I am scared of STDs and HIV things. I can't concentrate in my study and work. I even cried one night  alone thinking deep about these things in my head.

To doctors/medical professionals who would help me here, my sincerest thanks in advance and may God bless you.
did they do any actual gonorrhea testing or just the gram stain? give them a call back and find out what your gonorrhea result was.

hiv testing at 3 months is good. any further hiv related questions will need followed up on in the hiv forum where you also have a post going.

grace
thank u for ur reponse my frend :)

they just did urinalysis and gram stain to test gonorrhea and it resulted 0.3+ protein and gram positive cocci. as far as i remember, no puss and result slip says ---> wbc (?)..just like that

thank u for ur reponse my frend :)

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.