STDs / STIs Community

Persistent Urethritis

Hi, my problem began a few months ago.  I had one episode of unprotected sex in June and about 2-3 weeks later started have a burning sensation when I urinate and some general itching in the urethra.  Eventually there was a pus discharge. The doc gave me cipro and doxycycline (assuming this was either gonococcal or nongonococcal urethritis).  I finished the treatment and the symptoms subsided.  The symptoms returned a few weeks later.  The dr then gave me an injection of ceftriaxone and a prescription for levaquin.  The symptoms did not go away (pus and burning when I urinate).  Now, I received a one time dose of azithromycin and more doxycycline.  I am starting to get depressed that this isnt clearing up. I am assuming this could be something other than gonorrhea or chlamydia... am I correct?  I am just worried this can turn into something worse....any comments?  I am really down about it.
I suggest going to a urologist.  This sounds like it could possibly be prostatitis, whcih I something I suffer from.  One of the symptoms for prostatitis is discharge, among many other symptoms, and it's a very difficult condition to treat.  Do you have any pain?
well doesnt that go away by itself? i mean follow up on your doc sounds like you have some anxiety, i didnt have that.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.