STDs / STIs Community

Possible throat gonorrhea

I had oral sex with another man a week and a half ago. I performed on him for a little while and he did not finish in my mouth. He informed me 3 days later he had tested positive for gonorrhea. I went and got tested for it but only had my urine tested and the results were negative. They also gave me the **** and two single dose antibiotics at the clinic before receiving my results. This last Sunday I started to get a minor sore throat. It was the day after a heavy night of drinking so I didn't think anything of it. But it is still thhere after 5 daysIt's not painful and it hasn't caused me any problems swallowing. It also goes away at times. Is it possible it is gonorrhea even after I got the antibiotics or am I worrying over nothing.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hopefully, antibiotics will be a good prevention for gonorrhea, as you were exposed to a real source of this bacterium.

To see if everything goes ok, keep taking what your doctor prescribed for you (as there are not to many more things we can add to your doctor's advice) and test 3 weeks after the exposure. That is the good window period for gonorrhea.

As you have performed and received oral sex, it would be also interesting to test for syphilis and herpes, as this kind of sexual encounter exposes you to those infections as well. You can test for those infections as follows:
-Syphilis, 6 weeks after the exposure, and if you get it negative, it would be good to repeat it 3 months after the encounter, as there are people that take longer to show a positive result.
-Herpes, 3 months after the encounter.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.