STDs / STIs Community

Regular STD Testing for Men?

I got a vasectomy about 8 months ago, and am now dating someone who I trust.  We are talking about possibly stopping our use of condoms.  She was "clean" last time she checked and she will check again before we stop using condoms.

I am in the military.  I went in to the doc the other day to get checked for STD's, and when I told him I have no symptoms and no known contact with someone who has a STD, he said not to worry about getting checked.  I get checked during my physicals for HIV and another big one (either gonorrhea or syphilis, I can't remember), so I don't have either of those. The doc said, that as a male, if I had any other STD's, I would have obvious symptoms.  He said that since I didn't have any symptoms, it wasn't worth getting checked.

I have had unprotected sex with three women in my life, all during long-term-relationships, the most recent of which was about a year ago.

Is the doc right?  Would any other STD's have obvious symptoms?  Or was he just being lazy?  I don't want to risk my current girlfriend's health!
bump
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.