STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

STD Testing, How reliable?

How reliable are tests to see if you're completely STD free?

If I get my girl tested, will it be 100%?

I'm asking because there are so many cases of "HSV2 appeared in my monogamous relationship 10 years later" and apparently is a common thing.
This must be checked out if there has been so many cases of HSV2 occurring in your relationship.  How can you be certain you have HSV2 existent in your relationship? Do you have HSV2 or does she?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... Anyone with insights to my questions?
What I am saying is have any of you two had HSV before? If not, how could you say you had HSV2 as a common thing?
Oh I put that in quotes because it's not in my relationship- I've just read about a lot on these forums and the doctor here says it's common. I don't have STD's as far as I know and I don't want to catch anything. So to be safe, I want to know if tests are 100% accurate. Trying to stop the spread, know what I'm saying?
The tests now in the works are completely reliable. As far you are in a monogamous relationship and both of you have been tested, you really have nothing to worry about as you guys are both aware of each others status. How long ago did you guys do testing?
You still don't get it... do you?
My family doctor says tests may not be 100% accurate for all STD's such as herpes. Is this true? Where can I find more information?
There are certain time periods or waiting times in which you can be certain on your results.
Please elaborate
Gono, NGU, Chlamydia, Trich- 6 days to a week post exposure
Syphilis- 4-6 weeks post exposure
Herpes- 4 months (unless the obvious herpetic lesions appear before then, then, immediate physician evaluation is needed.)
HIV- 3 months post exposure.
So theoretically if I haven't slept with anyone in 6 months and neither has she. Then we both get tested for everything, then we'll be in the clear?
Yes, you are in the clear. All it takes to std free is to be in a monogamous relationship.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.