STDs / STIs Community

STD testing methods (types)

I wanted to know how reliable a Blood test is versus an internal swab from within the penis?
I would like to get tested. But I don't want to have a blood test done only to find out that I should've have the "swab/q-tip" test done.
I guess I don't know which one is best or the difference.
I would also say that I'm not sure which disease to test for.
I presume it would be a multiple disease test.

My main question would be which type of test is best... internal swab or blood test?
Swab or urine tests for gonorrhea or chlamydia.  Blood tests for HIV, syphilis, hepatitis, and herpes. There is no one testing method for all std's.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.