STDs / STIs Community

Ureaplasma Urealyticum

I would really appreciate your advice. I have always suffered from frequent bouts of cystitis but 2 months ago came down with a horrible flare that has rendered me bedridden. I have urethral, bladder, pelvic and vulvar pain. It particularly hurts when my bladder is full and when I urinate but I don't so much have urgency and frequency. Finally I was checked and tested positive for ureaplasma urealyticum on DNA swab (clear for absolutely everything else). I took a course of Doxycycline 100mg twice a day for 7 days was retested and it came back negative. I am still continuing to take the Doxycycline and my doctor says I just need to be patient while I heal but the symptoms have worsened. I can't help but think maybe the retest was a false negative (perhaps because I'm still on antibiotics even though was DNA swab) . Should I try taking Clarithromycin? I am desperate and praying this isn't IC.
ureaplasma is something that many of us have and it typically doesn't even cause any symptoms.  many labs never even bothered testing for it until recently. hard to tell if this is newly acquired for you and causing your symptoms or just something they happened to find with your testing due to starting to test for it now.

have they ever tested you for herpes to rule that out?

when was the last time you had sex prior to this?

if you can find an urogynecologist, they are a good specialist to follow up with.

grace
Thanks for your message. I was tested for Herpes and it was negative, as were all the other tests. I have been in a monogamous relationship for the past nine months and we last had sex the day before this started and not since (he's also taking the antibiotics). I had bouts of bacterial cystitis during that time but nothing compared to this. I don't know what to do, I'm at my wits end.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.