What STD/STIs do doxycycline and azithromycin/rocephin cover?

I had an unprotected encounter a few weeks ago and have had minor discharge when I wake up in the morning (clear/whitish/sticky), and a red rash on the head of my penis. I think the red rash is from use spraying the I use the restroom...I have been prescribed doxycycline hyclate 100 mg twice a day for a week then later 1g of azithromycin and a shot of rocephin. I have been tested twice both times negative for Chlymedia/Gonorrhea.

Would those antibiotics cover most STIs as well? I know like NGU/Urithirtis/Vaginosis etc.. arnt covered in normal STD panels. Would those antibiotics cover most STIs that arnt included in standard STD panels?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi again, the red rash is most likely just an inflamation as no std shows symptoms of a red rash. You mention a discharge in the morning. If its clear sticky its almost certainly natural mucus that is being forced out your penis from milking. But its its white (bright white/gray) that would indicate an infection. Taking antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria and could actually cause a UTI but thats really not common.
If you have a white discharge and tested negative for gono and chlamydia your only left with a UTI also called NSU which is a non specific urethra infection.
I really suspect your anxiety is adding fuel to your symptoms.
A red rash can be a lot of different things, e.g. balanitis and lichen plantus, and of course yeast as well. Anyway, doxycycline and azithromycin AND rocephin (ceftriaxone) covers basically all the STDs you can name, from syphilis to gonorrhea to chlamydia to even chancroids (H. ducreyi). Of course, it doesn't cover the viral ones like HIV and HSV, but then neither of these cause discharge.

Moreover, I don't think the discharge has anything to do with STDs. The only STD that has an incubation of less than one day is reinfection of scabies, as I recall it. It might be a yeast infection if anything, which the antibiotics you took definitely would have taken care of.

And I agree with Dave. Your anxiety could've caused many of these symptoms.

Best,
Medic stud

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.