STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

What do I have?

For 3 weeks I have been getting an itchy, burning, and pinching (when I take showers) feeling in my pubic area.  I went to see my doctor and he says it looks like herpes, but I still need to take a blood test to determine if so.  To me the infected area doesn't look like herpes, the area is dry, red, and sometimes stuff that looks like scabs are stuck to my pubic hair.  What other diagnosis could be for my symptoms?
COMMUNITY LEADER
It could be folliculitis.

Its unfortunate, but your doctor gave you incorrect information.  He could have tried to culture the area, but if you had waited longer than 24-48 hours to see him, then the culture wouldn't be reliable anyway.

AJ
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.