STDs / STIs Community
39.5k Members
Avatar universal

Worried I might have a STD because of mild burning sensation while urinating


I'm a male in my late 30s. For little over three weeks I've been having some random mild discomfort (burning sensation) while urinating and/or ejaculating.

Currently (since last week) I'm in treatment with Anucort-HC Rectal suppositories due to hemorrhoids and itching/swelling in the rectum and anus area that "we think" started after I was taking Diclofenac 50mg (cataflam) for little over two weeks and maybe that gave some bad constipation that lead to hemorrhoids.

Prior to start the Anucort-HC treatment I was worried I might had a STD and went to the local STD center and had a doctor check me along with some STD tests (two weeks ago). The doctor asked me some questions about my symptoms and checked my anus area and said it saw not visible symptoms of any STD, but that the area was in fact inflamed, maybe due to the swelling in the rectum and anus area because of the hemorrhoids.

The mild burning sensation while urinating is mainly noticeable when the discomfort in the anus area is felt. Otherwise it feels like a normal urination.

I was tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea and the results came back negative (https://i.imgur.com/VszrkkU.png). HIV and Syphilis results should be available later this week. I was also ordered a Urine Culture and Sensitivity test and it came back OK (https://i.imgur.com/q4mZehw.png), with "NO GROWTH AFTER 72 HOURS INCUBATION" results (https://i.imgur.com/gM0N9VK.png).

However, sometimes I continue to feel the mild discomfort while urinating and/or ejaculating. While continue researching for the symptoms I have came across Trichomoniasis, which I have never heard before and neither of the doctors I saw last week mentioned it to me or tested me for it.

So my question is, If I had Urine Culture and Sensitivity laboratory tests and it came out OK, should I go to the STD specialist and request to be tested specifically for Trichomoniasis if I want to rule out that possibility of any STD? Or if there was anything like Trichomoniasis (or any other similar STD) it should had come out on the culture results that were already made?

My Internist told to get a appointment with a Gastroenterologist to check me and maybe do a colonoscopy to check what could have caused the itching/swelling in the rectum and anus area. So I have one for next week. Should I also get an appointment with a urologist to see what could be causing the burning sensation while urinating?

I'm worried that the feeling I have might be due to a STD that I haven't been checked. Or it could be something in my head that has me worried and makes me feel that when what I have is my anus area inflamed? (that's what one of the doctor said)

Thanks very much in advance for the help.
5 Responses
Avatar universal
what is your risk exposure?
Had protected sex with a girl I met once last month in the Dominican Republic.
Sorry, by last month I meant early November.
3149845 tn?1506627771
With protected sex you cant get trich inside your penis.
Avatar universal
Thank you.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that condoms are not always 100% safe. I'm not aware that the condom broke, never had a condom broke before, so don't know how to detect it, but as far as I know it did not broke, everything looked OK.

However, one could get in contact with vaginal fluids not necessary inside the penis when wearing a condom, but other areas of the body and that was worries me.

Besides the itching/swelling in the rectum and anus area that we think is due to the hemorrhoids that might be caused by the medication I was taking (Diclofenac 50mg) almost a month ago. The thing that worries me the most is the mild burning sensation I get when urinating and/or ejaculating, these are noticeable while I have the burning sensation on the rectal area that is being treated with the Anucort-HC Rectal suppositories. Don't know if is related to it or not to that.

But when I search for symptoms for those that I feel, I see mainly STDs like Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichomoniasis. At least the Chlamydia and Gonorrhea came negative in the labs from last week, and I'm not sure if the Urine Culture and Sensitivity would be enough to detect something like Trichomoniasis or anything else. What do you think?

My concern is, since the doctors I've visited said that I should not worry that is nothing related to STDs (and are not giving me more tests), that I might be missing some STD test to rule out any possibility of STDs.

What are your suggestions? Should I ask for a specific test to rule out any possibilities of STDs? Or I'm over worrying?

Appreciate the suggestions.
3149845 tn?1506627771
Yes your overworrying. When a condom breaks your penis head stick way out and its designed that way. It rolls up the shaft. Also vaginal fluids getting inside cannot pass any std so rule that out as well. The sensations your describing could be directly connected to having hemorrhoids as all the nerves are connected. Maybe have your prostate checked for inflamation but you cannot get any std inside your penis wearing a condom.
Thank You. It definitely it helps reduce my anxiety about all this until I get the remaining test results back.

I'm definitely going to have my prostate checked. I'm almost 40, so I should be thinking getting it checked soon anyway.

Let's see what the Gastroenterologist tells me when he checks me next week if he recommend me to go to a Urologist too.

Regarding one of my questions, should I ask to be checked for all STDs just to rule out anything?

Could Trichomoniasis be detected with a Urine Culture and Sensitivity test that was already done? Or is there any other test that is done for that virus?

Sorry about insistence on those questions, I just want to make sure if I need more additional tests to request my doctor.

Really appreciate the help.
3149845 tn?1506627771
If the condom broke you would know it for sure as it would curl to the back of your shaft. Also even getting fluid inside the condom would not cause any std.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.