STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

indeterminate result

Hi ,

I am Rajesh and I have one problem which I want to discuss with you. My HIV test result come as indeterminate so I am really confused to go for another test or not . Let  me give you some  glimpse about my history. I came to Singapore in May 2006 and  as per the immigration rule I have to go through the HIV test and that’s why I went there for the test then they told me my ELISA test is positive and then they send my blood for WB test and after that they clear me. But till that day I never had any sex with any one but I use to masturbate frequently. So I don’t know what is the reason behind ELISA become positive?  Then I again did my HIV test after one and half year back in NOV 19,2007 .This time ELISA become positive and WB is become indeterminate but this time I had a sex with a prostitute but it was 8 month back and it was protected. I had wearied double condom and none of them was tired and one and half month back I had an oral sex with another prostitute.  I just suck her breast and nothing else I had done with her. So now I am confused do I really infect with HIV. As my WB result is indeterminate I can’t go for a test for another 3 months. So I am really scared about my result. But as per my knowledge the Window period is not more then 6 month but in my case it was 8 month when I had exposed to sex. So could you please suggest what should I do now? My marriage is on next month and I am really confused on what should I do and what I shouldn’t. Appreciate if you could advice me on this.

Regards
Rajesh
With an indeterminate WB, you should definitely not have unprotected sex.  You could just be one of the very unlucky people who just test positive with the ELISA but are really virus free.  The only odd thing is the WB becoming indeterminate after being negative.

Have you considered taking a DNA or RNA test?  Since that's looking at another aspect of the virus (viral DNA, not antibodies), it would possibly shed some light on your results.  I don't think the results would help in terms of your immigration, but it would help in terms of your health outlook.  That would be my next step.
Thanks, for your the suggestion.  I will definitly go for DNA or RNA test once i go back to india. But coud you tell me that should i go for a second test after three month or should i ignore the result? So as per you i don't have infected with AIDS. Kindly confirmed. It would give me a shy of relife.

Regards
Rajesh
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.