STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

mild symptoms after oral sex

hi - a little background on me:  i am a gay male, 33, with a recurring EBV infection - i have been feeling very healthy lately and have no other diseases or conditions that i know of.  i test regularly for HIV and am negative - last test was 2 months ago.  i am in a relationship with someone who is also negative.

a few nights ago, i had too much to drink on a work trip and met a guy - we kissed extensively and he performed oral sex on me.  of course i'm feeling remorse over what happened - i will be traveling for another 3 weeks so i will be brooding over this until i can speak face to face with my partner.  but in addition to the guilt, i have started experiencing mild symptoms, beginning at day 3 - sweating, mild stomach pain, a sore in my mouth (it was only there on day 3 - then it seemed to pop - it seemed like a swollen ball in the back of my mouth - and then it was just - gone) - and i'm also a bit itchy.  it's now day 4 since the incident and it seems like the symptoms are getting a bit worse, but i'm sure anxiety counts for at least some of this.

my question - what are the possible STI's I could have contracted that are compatible with my (early) symptoms?  Would they show this soon?  Based on what I've read, I think it's a bit early to show symptoms if this were HIV, plus i have read that receptive oral sex is low risk for HIV infection.  also - at what point can i have tests run - how soon will i show as positive for any/all of these potential STI's?

thanks for your help - and for letting me vent.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Receptive oral sex is no risk for HIV.  You could get gonorrhea, hsv1, syphilis and maybe chlamydia from receptive oral sex.  (Chlamydia orally is pretty rare.)

You can test for gonorrhea at about 3-5 days after, and you can try a syphilis, but it might not be accurate yet.

Herpes can take up to 4 months to show on a blood test, but you might already have that, so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

AJ
thank you for your response - i will follow up with testing as soon as possible.  
hi - me again.  an update and more questions.  something i forgot to mention - when i urinated the next morning after the incident, there was a tiny bit of dried blood from my penis - i noticed it in the toilet bowl.  since blood was involved (mine?  his?), it makes me more concerned about HIV.

yesterday, i went to a clinic and explained my situation.  since i only had the opportunity to be on land (i work on a ship) for a few hours, she tested for everything and gave me some meds just in case.  syphillis came back neg.  the other tests i am still waiting on.  she gave me a shot of rocephin (?) and a script for doxycyline.  i also took a rapid HIV test, which came back negative.  i asked for the early HIV test but they wouldn't perform it b/c i was not local to the area.

it's now day 9 since exposure - and my symptoms have gotten worse - sore throat, huge swollen glands, fatigue, possible low grade fever (not sure) and strange tingling sensations throughout my body - it's kind of like a mild "zap" of electric current - it's like a feeling of anxious current that just zaps in random places in my body.  i see a few tiny red spots on my chest - very few - maybe 6 or 8 and they are all spread out - not together at all - if i wasn't looking for a rash, i probably wouldn't notice them at all - and i didn't notice the "rash" until this morning - after i started taking the doxy and had the shot of rocephin.  i also have a slight feeling of "burn" in my lower chest - inside though, not on the skin.  my symptoms seem to get much worse in the late afternoon/night - the mornings aren't so bad. i have had no diarrhea, nor vomiting, no major headaches.  i have had insomnia the last few nights and have had to take a xanax to sleep.  i also have very little appetite.  day 7-8 were the worst day for symptoms so far.  

i will not be back home for another 3 weeks - i will continue my medication, but i cannot get the early HIV test until at least 3 weeks since i will be on the ship.  are my symptoms consistent with primary HIV infection?  i know receptive oral sex is low risk for hiv transmission, but with the presence of blood, what are your thoughts?  my symptoms are also consistent with a flare up of my EBV infection so it could be just that - but i'm worried that perhaps i have contracted HIV and i'm having a flare-up of EBV due to contracing HIV and i'm now in the primary HIV stage.  sorry to babble - but i'm freaking out and i'm stuck on this ship for another 3 weeks and don't know where to turn.  your advice is greatly appreciated - thank you!

i also have a yellow tongue - it's like a yellow film all over my tongue that won't brush off.
COMMUNITY LEADER
This could be early HIV, but since the risks are so low, I wouldn't go there first.

I'd go with EBV since that is by far the more likely scenario.  I don't know what the coating on your tongue is, but it could be yeast.

Its also possible you have something else going on, but since you are on a ship, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe its just the flu or something.

AJ
thanks for your advice - it is helpful.  it's just that this bout of EBV flare up (which i'm hoping it is) is different that those i've had in the past.  also, i should clarify the encounter - i had insertive oral sex (i mentioned receptive oral sex in my previous post - i had my terminology mixed up i think - in other words, he gave me a blow job - pardon my candor, but just trying to avoid confusion).  that's why the blood the next day freaked me out, b/c it was blood on or from my penis, and i'm not sure if it was his blood or not.  i believe in order for him to pass HIV to me, there would have to be blood present, to pass into my urethra, correct?  i know the chance is somewhat remote, but since i did spot blood the next morning, of course i'm freaked, especially given my symptoms.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Receptive and insertive are sort of interchangable as far as oral sex is concerned.  I know its different for anal sex, but with oral sex, you are receiving as it is your penis being inserted into his mouth.  It is confusing, but I got what you meant - you got the blow job.

The presence of blood makes this a bit trickier, especially since you don't know where it came from.  Have you had your urine or semen checked to make sure there isn't any blood in those?

The presence of blood doesn't guarantee an HIV transmission either.  Its not so much about getting it in your urethra, as much as it is getting into your blood stream.  

How do you normally treat an EBV flare?  Are you able to do that while on ship?

AJ

hola - yeah, the blood is what really scares me - the risk for oral is low, but with blood i feel all bets are off.  i have not been checked - i really don't want to do this onboard - word travels very fast - the ship environment isn't very discreet.  i haven't noticed any additional blood - just the one tiny bit the morning after.  i don't even know if this guy was hiv +, but since i don't know for sure, i assume the worst.  

a "normal" flare up for me consists of fatigue, swollen glands, fever, sore throat, excessive sweating, etc.  the "new" symptoms related to my current condition are the tingling in my hands and feet and various burning/tingling sensations throughout my body (the "zaps" i referred to), slight burning in my chest and mild stomach cramps, as well as loss of mental "sharpness" - i feel a bit cloudy, i also have some insomnia and a high level of anxiety, which i haven't felt with an ebv flare up (this is partially due to my concerns of HIV i'm sure).  i also have the normal EBV symptoms except for the excessive sweating.  i haven't had any diarrhea or high fever, nor any new headaches.  i'm also not sure if i have the rash or not - i do feel that i have maybe 6 or 8 slight pink dots scattered on my chest - and my skin is somewhat blotchy - but i'm not sure i would call this a rash.  plus couldn't this be due to the doxy and/or rocephin?  my symptoms do seem worse in the afternoon for whatever reason.  the film on my tongue is pale yellow, almost white - it may be yeast - would the doxy or rocephin clear that up as well?

i may be able to get off the ship for a day or two next week, at which time i will try to get an early hiv test to test for viral load.  i should also know the rest of the other tests tomorrow and will let you know what i find out.

thank you for listening - i truly appreciate it.  do you have any other advice or questions regarding my situation?  
sorry - i didn't answer your question - to treat an ebv flare - i just rest - it has to run its course and then i eventually feel better after a week or so.  if my current situation felt like what i have gone thru in the past i wouldn't be so worried.  do you think my symptoms (and timing of symptoms) are consistent with primary hiv or ars?  i had early onset of symptoms which progressively got worse, peaking around day 7-8.  now day 10 still not back to normal, but symptoms were never severe.  the worst part now is the tingling and the fatigue.  i don't think i have a fever at all, and my sore throat is almost gone - glands are still slightly swollen.  with primary hiv, how long do symptoms normally last?  and do they come on that early?  
COMMUNITY LEADER
No, your symptoms aren't consistent with ARS.  In all my years of working in this field, I have only seen one person get this, and it was bad enough to put him in the hospital.  In fact, the docs that I work with hadn't seen anyone else with it either.  It doesn't happen that often, even though some of the literature says differently.

The rash is VERY pronounced, and there is no mistaking it, and you'd have a fever.

You wouldn't have any tingling in your body, or any brain fog.

The antibiotics wouldn't cure yeast, and would probably make it worse.  Yeast needs an antifungal.  You can have your ship medics look at that, as that's common, and doesn't have to be sexually transmitted.

AJ
ok - that's reassuring that what i have isn't consistent with ARS.  i have friends that have gone thru ARS and were also hospitalized.  but then i also have friends that had no symptoms that they recall.

how prevalent is the high fever and rash when seroconverting?

what are the symptoms of a yeast infection - i didn't know men could get yeast infections - ?
i have done a little research - some sites describe similar symptoms with hiv primary infection, other sites say it could be chronic fatigue syndrome (aka chronic EBV) or fibromyalgia.  do you know much about those?
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.